Which anti-virus programs will stress my SSD the least while providing good protection?

Joe Videtto August 18, 2012

Just installed and SSD with Windows 7 and want to use an anti-virus program. After reading about the concerns in shortening the life of an SSD with certain programs and utilities, just wondering with respect to anti-virus software which would be best suited for an SSD – please include both free and paid-for solutions in your suggestions. Thx.

1. Mai Katayama

Unthreat is very light on the system so I would definitely recommend that
    you can download it here - unthreat.com

2. Dimal Chandrasiri

Use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's very light weight and doesn't give much stress to your drive.

3. Nathan Wahler

Webroot SecureAnywhere is a great choice. All of its definitions are stored on in the cloud, so it doesn't require any updating and very little maintenance. It is very quick and lightweight, so if you're looking for a subscription-based service, I'd go with this. Also doesn't hurt that it was PC Mag's 2012 Editor's Choice for AV software.

4. jrasulev

Try Microsoft Security Essential, as this AV does not bother me at all, besides it lacks many features that disturb you and your SSD like web security, firewall, HIPS and etc.

5. Reý Aetar

use windows security essentials

6. DI

Microsoft Security Essentials.

7. Toufiq

I would rather suggest Microsoft Security Essentials if your windows is genuine. Its only 12+ MB. And definition is about 65 MB. I used Avast, Kaspersky, Norton, Panda, Eset, Comodo, Avira, Webroot. Far Most MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and Eset is the best light antivirus with full security with other facility like (Boot scan, USB auto scan)

8. Dan Valentin

I was about to post without reading the last 2 comments.My mistake.I totally agree with Elijah.I use Panda for very long time and is the best solution in my opinion.So listen to him.No concern for ssd's stress.

AV solutions are primarily READING from the device. The life-shortener for SSDs is WRITING to them which is why you don't want to be running defragmenters on them (and they don't enhance performance on them at all).

10. Elijah Swartz

Antivirus programs do not really stress your SSD. As your computer accesses certain files, the antivirus program will quickly check to see if it's ok. This isn't demanding at all for a SSD. Once a file is accessed and loaded into memory, the SSD is no longer being used. Instead it's the RAM that is being used. Malware doesn't just magically show up on your computer. It very likely gets infected just while you are online. If you want an antivirus program that is only active when you are on the web, try Panda's Cloud Antivirus. As a bonus, it's free!
    http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/#!/free-antivirus-download

antivirus will have very little impact on your SSD, most of well known antivirus are suitable for SSD, you can try microsoft security essentials

Do Antivirus Suites Impact Your PC's Performance?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antivirus-performance-benchmark,3045-6.html

Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx