What is the best antivirus program for Windows?

Ivan December 18, 2011

Which antivirus is better: Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, or Comodo Internet Security?

Hello, For now between the three choices you mentioned, I would choose Avast....mostly because of the sandboxing option. 

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty lightweight and a decent option.  It is the newest of all the options, so I would just give it time.  It will get much better than it is now.

Comodo antivirus by itself is not the best option but when you combine it with the firewall it is a powerfull option.  The firewall is excellent and if you combine it with the antivirust it can turn out to be quite powerful.  Mostly because of the firewall's auto sandboxing and also because of the Proactive Defense that it provides.

Ivan,

Between the three, I would chose Avast, and here's why. Microsoft Security Essentials is a fantastic choice for basic users, but if you're downloading more obscure files off the net, or need more advanced protection - it simply won't cut it. Avast is a company dedicated towards its anti-virus and provides significantly more functionality than the two alternatives. Comodo makes a great firewall (I use it myself) however its anti-virus isn't quite up to par, yet. It's still quite new and can't detect nearly as many things as Microsoft Security Essentials.

If I were to chose any anti-virus, I would chose Kaspersky. My second choice would be Avast. Check out our Best of - AntiVirus list.

- Jeff

3. Rohit Naik

Go for Bitdefender Antivirus.........u can also choose eset or vipre........and also check how much memory it consumes because some antiviruses can make PC slow.....if u want a free antivirus then u also need a firewall program......AVIRA ANTIVIRUS + ZONEALARM = GR8 combination......i personally feel Avira is better for detecting viruses...

4. Rohit Naik

apparently 
    Microsoft Security Essentials in windows xp didnt performed well.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2376220,00.asp

Personally I would go with MSE because it is probably the most lightweight and perfectly blends into the operating system ~ even for future "Security Center" updates and similar.

In terms of detection they don't give each other much ~ it's back and forth.

ps: Worth to mention is that the upcoming version (currently tested in Microsoft Connect) will come with another set of improvements like Firewall integration, protection against web and network threads, ...

7. Niks

Free - Avast
    Paid - Norton

If you have the latest version of "Common Sense" , go with free AV.