What is the best antivirus program for Windows 7?

Vigan Jashari October 28, 2012

I’m very frustrated. Used Comodo long time. I think it’s good, but I don’t see it anywhere near the top antiviruses.

Now I installed BitDefender Total Security. I’m thinking of Microsoft Security Essentials. In CNET’s top downloaded is Avast and AVG. How to choose the best one?

For a long time I’m not in peace with antiviruses. I also use Advanced System Care. I think it speeds up my PC.

I have some problems. I’ve installed AllShare Play and Mega Cloud Backup and then uninstalled, but they don’t want to disappear from my PC.

What do we need for our Windows 7 PCs? Mine is Dell Inspiron N5010 i3.

1. vyorel25

The best antivirus is Bidefender Total Security 2013
    http://www.dnmw.net/bitdefender-total-security-2013-free-download/

• Peter Mann

As Yashodhan Bhatt says...
      Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 IMHO is the best. Once you have used it you won't use anything else. It is reasonably priced and it works.

2. Prashant Mirjankar

It is all about the personal likings..... I prefer Norton to Avast...Some prefer Avast some AVG...... All the antivirus are good until your system is not infected....once infected only then the best one rises..........

3. Yashodhan Bhatt

Just try Kaspersky for once and you'll never buy any other ever!

4. abengaster54

Best:
    1.Bitdefender
    2.Kaspersky
    3.ESET Nod32
    4.AVG Internet Security
    5.Avast Internet Security
    6.Comodo

5. Sama

ESET Smart Security.... i have it for a long time, i still use it, and i have to say that works great with windows 7 (and for those who say that ESET is not good, maybe they nerver tried it before)

6. Kes

AVG is listed as the top free program, in fact, best program overall. See list here: http://freebies.about.com/od/computerfreebies/tp/best-free-antivirus.htm

I prefer Microsoft Essentials for my personal computer (I download A LOT so it keeps me quite safe) It updates on it's own and if the symbol is green, you're good to go, red if there is something you need to deal with. I was really surprised that Microsoft put out a good program to be honest, but hey Win7 is good too so they were on the right track (until win8. heh.)

I also have backups for specific things. I use Malewarebytes for really nasty stuff, and as a backup because no antivirus is perfect. I also have CCleaner to deal with registry stuff and halting problematic programs.

7. Arun Vishnu

in my opinion you may download register and use avast because its free,lightweight and less resource hungry but PERFORMED VERY GOOD THAN ALL OTHER SECURITY SUITS WHEN I TESTED iT.avast will clean your system and will not allow malwares to enter your system.i am using it since 2010

8. Deimarr Callender

I personally recommend ESET Smart Security

9. Shahbaz Amin

If you can buy Kaspersky as its really good and I have been using it for more than three years without any virus or malware issues
    or you can also use free Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows Defender) and its free!!

10. Sreekanth Stern
  11. Abba Jee

Microsoft Security Essentials

• Muz RC

Yup i also, its light and combine it with COmodo Firewall also Process Hacker and u will get the advanced protection for your pc/laptop.

12. Somaiya Ebrahim

i use microsoft security essentials, and im satisfied...my school uses kasperkey so it must be good too..

13. N LKX

take a look at this site 'http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/probably-best-free-security-list-world.htm'. hope it helps.

14. Kiril Vasilev

I like Panda Cloud Antivirus. It's free and very light. But you always need internet connection.

15. Pedro Silva

Helo, you can try now the updated Emsisoft Internet Security Pack the complete program for 30 days download here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/internetsecurity/?cbaffid=25593
    This seurity suite has the best firewall inside, the Online Armor.
    I hope that you like it.
    Thanks,
    Pedro Silva

16. Remington Ostrout

AVG. For the win!

17. Rakesh Mishra

u can use comodo antivvirus or bitdefender

18. Paolo Maffezzoli

I would recommend Avast Internet Security or in alternative Avira. Take a look also the Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, maybe you can install the trial version and evaluate the performances on your computer.

19. Hardik Ashar

you should try quick heal antivirus. http://www.quickheal.com/

20. Marian Cimbru

If you want to pay for a good AV, I would recommend you Norton Internet Security. If you want something free, I would recommend you Microsoft Security Essentials.

21. Scott Sabowski

After several years of using Bitdefender, I switched back to Norton. Bitdefender worked well, but started to become a memory hog. Norton FINALLY started to reduce the amount of memory it was using. No complaints about it either.

22. anesh

Quick Heal Total Security

23. Joseph Bianca

Top 10 are Bitdefender Antivirus Plus Kaspersky Anti-Virus Panda Antivirus Pro F-Secure Anti-Virus AVG Anti-Virus Avast! Pro Antivirus G Data AntiVirus BullGuard Antivirus Avira Antivirus Premium ESET NOD32 Antivirus all of these are very good but it depends on what your computer handles do u do alot of gameing or is it just for web surfing i have used comodo and i understand your frustration

24. softwaredemons

i use microsoft security essentials.

25. Vipul Bansal

Go straight for Microsoft Security Essentials

26. Adam Campbell

Microsoft Security Essentials is probably the best that I have used.

27. Gutha Gowtham

avast! Free Antivirus for Sure.

If you are a restless internet user, the world's #1 internet security suite is AhnLab Internet Security.

If you are just a normal user, then avast! Free is the best choice. It is world's #2 best antivirus and world's #1 free antivirus.

http://avast.com

http://ahnlab.com

28. Bharat Gautam

Mcafee or Esetnod 32 but it shouldf be premium and updated, trust me your system will be ever 100% protected with these antivirses

29. Raghav Gupta

AVG is very nice. If you want ultimate go for bitdefender

30. kumar raja

Avast is the best antivirus for all the OS versions it is serving freely with good security

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials for several years now and have never had any problems. I also tried Avast and AVG but I think it comes down to personal preference and of course being careful as to what you click on....

32. Douglas Mutay

I am using the free version of Avast 7 and found it very good! Give it a try

33. Naveen Kumar

for know kaspersky 2013 is the best that is available in the market. you get it provides full care to pc

34. Tarek Ramadan

For the free I recommend AVAST or Microsoft Essential i used both for long time and both are good

for avast I suggest to enable "gaming silent mode" and close all sounds

35. Brian Mok

On my Windows computer, I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. It does pretty well keeping all the junk and stuff out of my computer.

36. Srinivas N

Tough question though..presently switched to avast from MSE happy with my choice..
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-antivirus-comparison-popular-choices-toetotoe/

37. josemon maliakal

It depends , if you are regular internet user kaspersky is preferable and otherwise bitdiffender, avira, avast etc can be used ..no probs

38. Muo TechGuy

The best anti-virus is this little built-in software called "common sense". Not once have I run AV , and not once have I caught any malware; you don't trust something, run it in a VM first to test.

39. Tebawiha Lelhchhun

I also think that BITDEFENDER is good but i cannot say it is the best.Best anti-virus is depend on the user.Suppose you want to keep your computer safe with less memory usage.I recommend MSE(Microsoft Security Essential)

40. Prasanth Mathialagan

If you are looking for free antivirus application, go for Avast. We can register for one year free license. After it expires we can renew it. If you have some bucks, Kaspersky would be a great choice. There are also some other antivirus programs out there. You can also try everything and pick the best out of it.

41. Harish Jonnalagadda

I'm currently using BitDefender Total Security and am very satisfied with the offering.

42. Manuel Guillermo López Buenfil

If you want a free antivirus, get Avast! Free Antivirus.
    If you want a commercial (not free) antivirus, get Kaspersky.
    They both are the best of their kind, based on several reviews I have read and my personal experience.

43. Saurav Azad

go for Microsoft security essential it is best with minimal problems

44. Vishal Mishra

you should install Avast antivirus and Anti-malwarebytes. You can install both of them together without any conflicts.You should keep your antivirus up to-date.

45. Reý Aetar

kaspersky if you prefer to pay
    ms security essential if you want free

you wont need any if you are regular user stay updated and dont open unknown sites
    or misc unknown software.windows is a lot more secure now a days

46. Dave Rimmer

I would recommend Avas Free, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, Zonealare Firewall, if you google it you get many more.

47. Josh Wein

I have bitdefender, very good program

There is no "perfect" security program. All of them have faults of one way or another. Some of them is not very customable. Others put a large drag on your system resources. For me, I use a combo of free software. I use MS security essentials for AV, Windows firewall for anti intrusion. I use firefox for browser as it let me add all sort of addon's to secure my computer. I use noscript for prevention of drive by infection. Siteadvisor for checking the integrity of a website. and Certificate patrol for make sure a site is what it suppose to be. And finally, I use ad-block plus to get rid of ad's.. I store my my shopping sites credentials and semi-important passwords with lastpass and evernote for taking notes. I know this is a hodgepodge of programs but it gives me infinite control I now have to understand what security is about.

the best antivirus depends on how you use your pc and which sites you go in, for better protection total security is important and also have antilogger like zemana or other to have another security layer
    http://www.zemana.com/

now if you installed and tested many security programs be sure that un-installation is complete (no left over of files and registry keys) since your chosen security tool if detects left over or if left over interfer with your security tool then will make windows slower.

You had tried many antiviruses and softwares and you had messed with your system.If you like to test softwares,then you must use sandbox software like Sandboxie.

If you are unable to clean up the mess created by the aforementioned softwares,then install them and uninstall with a good uninstaller utility like Revo uninstaller and then clean up the registry using CCleaner.

If you want a peaceful experience while working with your laptop,then use Avast and set it to update it in background with no popup update notifications.This will make sure that you would never have to look for your antivirus program except during activation once in a year.

To speed up file access and program load times,run Defraggler software,which is a defragmenting software used to arrange system files for faster access.

51. Gravity Dead

well I use bitdefender myself but the Internet security not the TOTAL

if you are so frustrated by the antivirus programs then may be try running PC w/out them or may be MSE, that's enough if you don't download much or you know what are you doing, like genuine installing softwares or games

52. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I've used Avast for a year and couldn't be happier. No infection, sandbox feature, and all you can possibly want from a security suite. I used ESET. It was good, but quite resource intensive and a huge pain to uninstall.

To finish the uninstallation try Revo uninstaller or Geek uninstaller. If they won't go off the normal way you can try the forced uninstallation mode.

53. Osama Javaid

Install avast antivirus free, malwarebytes and advanced system care free...., use firefox, and get peace of mind.

54. Patrick Jackson

You can try Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. It has 30-day free trial as well and it may slow down your PC a bit, but it works great and I've been using it on my computer and it seems to be faster than the previous versions!

Hoping this helps! :)

55. Vipul Jain

Debatable and will have to try yourself, but my vote goes to Eset Smart Security 6.
    And i have tried Kaspersky, Bitdefender, McAfee, AVG & Norton, but ESET was the best for me among all!

56. Jeremiah Iliffe

I personally use windows security essentials, works well for me. You should be safe from viruses if you are careful and don't download anything dodgy

57. Nikhil Sharma

Well actually it depends on your requirements. But I completely love and recommend Avast Internet Security.

• manish

:)

58. Aniket Singh

bitdefender is best option,becoz it also contain extra feature like pc clean up,regestry clean up and also it renked 1st in all over the worls by ratings of user

59. Nikhil Chandak

Now there is a new version, Advanced System Care 6
    or antivirus programs
    Avira Antivirus ..?
    but AVG & Avast are also good enough
    I think for me , its Microsoft Security Essentials
    there's no perfect antivirus software , but good antivirus softwares which I have listed above
    So choose which ever u like ...
    the antivirus software is depending on u , because how much virus are u hving in ur computer , u could only know about that

hey!!! kaspersky! is good!!! accordingly!! I tried Avg!! but it was not responding that much as Kaspersky would do!!! A

• Nikhil Chandak

Yea , Kaspersky is also good , but now from the ranking it seems that Bitdefender has won the game of top antiviruses

60. Boni Oloff

There are no perfect antivirus, but if you are talking about good protection, then you should try Kaspersky or Norton, but all antivirus makes a bad performance impact to your system.

DalSan Mack thanx. I`ve installed now avast internet security, somehow i feel comfortable with avast but i have a trial version, now i need a lisence for some time.
    TuneUp Utilities 2013 finished working with some of the problems that I had.

• Douglas Mutay

Agreed

• Gutha Gowtham

Avast! Free infact is the world's #2 according to the av-comparatives.

AhnLab Internet Security could be the best , it is world's #1 internet security suite, recommended if you are a restless internet user.

It's not my word, in fact it is tested and proven.

62. DalSan Mack

It is all subjective. Avast is better than AVG since AVG became resource hungry. Avira is very good, but has nag screens to purchase the full version and gives off false positives. Many here would vote for Avast and Comodo firewall for excellent protection. MS Security Essentials is mediocre at protection, and I would like better control of the firewall, so I can't fully support MSSE except for basic users. Bitdefender is a very good package to use and offers better protection than most of freeware antiviruses. Norton is very good, has been getting better every year. Kaspersky is great, but can be resource hungry. The user interface and esse of use is more of what it comes down to, and researching that would offer better ideas on that point. The biggest point I would like to make is that the testing done and the results you see are different from real world protection. Tests are good, but not all that should be looked at. I usually go for freeware as it offers almost as good protection as paid software without having to be bothered with making payments, especially when I don't have much funds.

Another thing about tests: In 2010 or 2011, I was going through AV test results and noticed that in several test suites the free version of Avira was scoring better than the paid version.A note about Norton as well. If you opt for that, you may want to disable their toolbar since it puts a HUGE drag on your internet surfing speeds through the web browser.

• Boni Oloff

Yap, resource and protection is two factor that must be considered to select a good Security Software.

• manish

you are right . Avast is the best antivirus. specially avast internet security