What is the BEST anti-virus and anti-spyware software?

David June 11, 2011

I recently heard of VIPRE, I have AVG-Free, Glary, Malwarbytes. PC has slowed down and I get a lot of hourglasses that sometimes don’t go away. What is going on?

1. Acox123

hahahahahhhahhhahahahahahahhhahahaaahahahaahahahhaha

• Acox123

ok hahahahahhahahah

2. Patter

If your computer is working well and you want to slow down it -agonizingly slow - install superantispyware. Then the devil takes over.

3. Christopher Royall

I agree with Mike:  Having AVG, and Glary Utilities, and Malwarebytes running at the same time, or combination of any of those will indeed cause a slow down of your computer.

I personally work on business and home computers and have found that Glary Utilities causes more problems than it solves.  The problem with all Registry tweakers is that they themselves are often perceived as a threat temporarily during scans by virus/malware/spyware checkers, because they are making changes to your system file.  While the software might not report this as such, it takes it's time scanning and rescanning it to ensure that it is indeed not such.  Also, although there is controversy on the subject, registry tweaks, 'de-fragmentation', is not something that should be relied upon by 3rd party software.  There are just too many variables in these files, and often times I have personally seen where Glary Utilities has 'Applied a tweak', that actually removed necessary information that certain programs need to run smoothly.  This in itself dramatically ends up slowing a system to a crawl, as the software has to search for the necessary information, drivers, etc to workaround the problem.

For my personal answer on the question, "What is the BEST anti-virus and anti-spyware software?", I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials, after testing many of the Virus packages out there, I have found this one to be the least intensive on a system, after all, who better than Microsoft is going to know if Microsoft system files are currently needed more by the user, and whether those files have been tampered with.  I use this in conjunction with Malwarebytes Pro.  With these 2 on my systems for the past couple of years, I have been free of problems, and due to my line of work, (scanning others hard drives, using their thumb drives, etc), there have been many successful captures and removal of virus/malware/spyware attempts to my system.

On the hardware, if you are using today's software packages, then you need to have at least 3gb of memory, and I personally recommend 4.  On the Hard Drive speed, while 7200 is much better, a system can still run very smoothly on a 5400 as long as you maintain it, by removing temp files, defragmenting (which is automatic on Vista and Windows 7) regularly, as well as ensuring you have plenty of space always available for your system file.  If able to, a nice speed fix is to add a small hard drive (40-80gb) that is reserved strictly for your Virtual Memory file. 

Hope this helps.

If you have slowdowns caused by scanning software do add exclusions for each of them.
    Slowdowns can be caused by the software scanning each other in a continuous loop.

If you're always on the net and want something lightweight you can try Panda Cloud Antivirus. Staying connected gets you the most protection.
    http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

There isn't a best, it changes every now and then due to new technology.
    Here are some you can choose from
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/ss/Best-Antivirus-Software-About-Com-2011-Readers-Choice-Awards.htm

Best way to reduce spyware is to not use IE, most spyware targets IE.
    You should use chrome, it is quite protected against spyware due to the sandboxing.

here are some MakeUseOf pages that you might find very helpful when choosing security software for your computer.

What is the best free anti-virus and anti-spyware software?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/free-antivirus-antispyware-software/

The Best Of: Windows Software
    http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software#antivirus

Top Antivirus Software. What’s your Favorite? [Poll]
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/muo-polls-top-free-antivirus-software-whats-your-favorite/

The 10 Best Free Anti-Virus Programs
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ten-best-antivirus-programs/

The symptoms could be those of a failed software installation. Sometimes people quit the software installation at the wrong time, e.g. before it's actually finished at or near the end the process.

. If the hour glass is always there no matter what you do, please check your
    mouse settings to see if the hour glass was made your default cursor. Go to
    START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>MOUSE. Go to the "Pointers" tab and check
    what the "Normal Select" mouse is. If it indeed is the hour glass, you can
    change it.

there are some backgroud application runing like updates....so windows is thinking perhaps more then necessary, so fo to your task manager and look for those or you can use sysinternals autoruns.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/sysinternals/bb963902

If you suspect is your security sof, then uninstal, rboot and reinstal.

try running hijackthis then save the log and look for any suspecious items and remove them, then run a chdsk /r

1)Click Start > Run.
    2) In the Run box, type the following text: cmd then click ok
    3)Type the following text, and then press Enter: chkdsk /r
    4) reboot

If all the programs listed run at the same time or using a Live Guard system they basically obstruct each other causing your System to slow down.

Also keep in mind that unless you or some installer deactivated it there is also Windows Defender running live in the background scanning for Spyware.

I've heard of VIPRE only once or twice and when it comes down to making a pick I usually refer to the AV-Comparatives reports. 
    http://www.av-comparatives.org

Personally I use Microsoft Security Essentials or Panda Cloud AntiVirus on my test machines (I don't have any AV on my main computers) and they work very smooth in the background without really effecting the computers performance.

One thing you may want to do in general is exclude large container files or directories e.g. from video games to be scanned on access by the Live Guard. Scanning those usually ads high load because of the file size and of the game or software reading them at the same time. 
    This of course is a trade-off in terms of security but by the time malware spreads to those miscellaneous directories the protection software has already failed in my opinion.

For the rest of it I assume you already read FIDELIS post which points out that slow downs are experienced for various reasons. 

Hello, slowdowns on computers can be caused by different reasons.  It could be due to malware, hardware, and software. 

When I say malware, it could refer to any virust/malware that one reason or another got installed on your system.  To be sure that you do not have any infection make sure to schedule or run full scans with whatever antimalware software you have installed.  You could start updating Malwarebytes and run a full scan.  To get better coverage, I would advice you to get the portable version of SuperAntiSpyware, which you can get here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

When talking about hardware, It could refer to not enough RAM, a slow harddrive and also a graphics card.  The best way of speeding up your computer a little bit more, is to install as much RAM as your motherboard can handle.  I would say, if you are running a 64 bit system, 4GB should be enough but if you can install more, much the better.  With regards to a slow harddrive, I am talking about a harddrive that runs at 5400 RPM as compared to a 7200 RPM one.  Unless you have a solid state harddrive, harddrives are usually the main culprit for slowing down the computer specially if they are not maintain often.  Another reason for slowdowns could also be the graphic card.  Graphic Cards are a very common reason for slowdowns, specially if you are a hard core gamer.

When talking about software, I am referring mostly to keeping you system well maintained.  For example, taking inventory of all the software you have installed and if for some reason you have programs installed that you do not use or have not used for a long time, the best thing to do is uninstall them.  Sometimes, you can cause slowdowns if you install software that interferes with some other software you have installed.  For example, if you have two different antivirus software installed.  Also it can refer to trying to keep a maintenance schedule where you can defragment your system, do full scans for malware and also making sure your system is clean.