How do I answer a question on this site?

sam November 3, 2011

How can I add an answer to a question or reply to a answer on MakeUseOf Answers? I cannot see anywhere to comment or buttons to click to comment. Not sure if my laptop settings are hiding something from me?

1. Jogookubwa

They like blocking unfriendly guys from commenting.

2. Payton_vege

Amazing write-up! This could aid plenty of people find out more about this particular issue. Are you keen to integrate video clips coupled with these? It would absolutely help out. Your conclusion was spot on and thanks to you; I probably won’t have to describe everything to my pals. I can simply direct them here!

3. Doesnotexist

the answers to this problem are not visible unless the problem is resolved first!

• Jay.0

Point!
      Only the person who asked the question can receive the comments in email.
      Will try to do something.

You can subscribe via RSS to receive updates on answers posted

• Jay.0

That's right James, but how will this "use rss- tip" or "unblock disqus- message"  will reach to those first time visitors of muo answers,
          who have blocked disqus because of their  blocking tools ?
          Because we are saying this via disqus, and they can't see disqus.

Is it possible to  display this message somewhere else other than disqus ?
          so one can read it and unblock disqus or use rss ?

Ahh, blocking Disqus huh? I cant help people who run blocking tools. Internet uses Javascript. There's a big red message at the top of answers now if you block Javascript. Isn't it obvious enough?

• Jay.0

Yes, that's also right.

• Jay.0

Suggestion:
          Can you edit the question description, and add the answer/message to unblock ?

I can't replicate that problem. Resolving the question and viewing the answers is not related. Are you running any Javascript blocking plugins?

4. sam

thank you. Worked out that the problem was in WidgetBlock Options, Disqus was being blocked in here.. 

• Jeff Fabish

Hi Sam,

Glad to see you got it sorted out! 

- Jeff

Sam, most modern websites use javascript, so your experience of the entire web is going to be messed up if you run utilities like those (adblock etc). You will find various parts of MUO don't work either.

I second that

good to know that it helped, this is not the first time that disqus was blocked by an extension, When you want to connect to a site regularly, you should disable the extension at least once to see what is the original content, and then go for selective blocking by content or by page.

your browser is not loading disqus comments, which is used on entire makeuseof.com and many sites. try a broswer when no addons are installed and you do not use often.

Do you have something like the ghostery add-on ? unblock disqus from the block list.

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/comments-makeuseof

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3869/55198238.jpg

Hi Sam,

Your webpage should look like this (attached). If it does not, first clear your browser's cache and try again. If the problem persists, use another browser such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera. If it does work on a seperate browser, tell me which browser isn't displaying the reply form and perhaps we can sort it out. Some extensions may block the form from appearing, so try running your prefered browser without addons to isolate the issue.

However, if your webpage does look like the one in the image then all you have to do is type inside the textbox underneath "Add New Comment". Then when you press "Post as..." you'll be prompted to identify yourself, either as a guest (anonymous) or with a handle already created such as Disqus, Facebook or Open ID.