What is the most annoying interruption when you work on your computer?

Tina April 24, 2011

I asked first! ;)

Just wondering what kind of interruptions others have to deal with while doing stuff on the computer.

1. jello

Before switching from using Windows Explorer to Q-dir, everytime I would use Windows Explorer under Windows 7 to look at something importantly, it would start indexing my files, even though I had indexing turned off.

2. Steve Campbell

Sometimes I've noticed it's incredibly difficult to concentrate and get things done when there are a lot of small interruptions. I'm talking whenever an instant message or an email comes in, or I get a notification on my computer about something like an update or a calendar event that pops up.

Whenever I find myself in that situation I just find a quiet place to sit, set my away messages up and hammer out my work until I've completed that task and only THEN do I check my email. :)

3. Alan Jay Weiner

In one job everyone worked in cubicles in a shared (i.e., open) office space. Good for comradery, but lousy for staying focused "in the zone" while coding.

One day I'm cranking on code, juggling bazillions of things in my head, when the support phone rings. Support calls ring at *every phone*. Boom! Mind goes empty - totally de-zoned.

I wanted to scream.

Computer do not respond while working on a long word files, thus reboot and start all over again. Nice.

5. toot

The annoying would be the people interruption while doing important work on the computer. The interruption would make people temporary out of mind to forget what has been done. Therefore lost focus and worst still shut down the computer without saving the work. It has to start over again.

6. Saikat Basu

I think the phone would top the list. But the second prize should definitely go to a program that has either hanged or has slowed down the rest of the other processes on the computer. That's when I decide to take a small walk.

7. DV Ruffin

Most annoying for me are those popups that elude my anti-popup program and those pop-unders. Or those flash video ads that you cannot stop from playing or blocking your desktop view until after they are done playing. I HATE THAT! That should be against the law.

8. Susendeep dutta

Overheating and hanging of PC is the most distracting thing for me.

9. jhpot

Does anyone else notice their WiFi feed slows down to a crawl when the microwave is running? I notice it most when I'm using my PowerMac in the back room; the microwave is halfway between it and the router. I'm sure this is some kind of interference, but is it common? Let me know.

Oh, and the biggest distraction is the phone. I hate that thing.

No big surprise there :-) Microwave ovens mostly operate between 2.4 and 2.5GHz overlapping with the WiFi signals. They also love to cripple DLAN [on the same circuit] and Ethernet [if cables run right next to it].

I would say visitors in my office

Answering the phone throws me off focus but I can always write the request down and deal with it later [or ignore it for that matter].
    But people coming in my office - they usually start reporting regardless of what I'm doing or how busy I am. Even if I have the phone next to my ear as long as I'm not the one talking they consider me being idle.

11. Saptashwa

When I'm editing and publishing posts for my blog, the net speed slows down to a halt. I've to restart the machine to get it working again for it to go down again. This is the worst thing I've faced. This has been occurring quite recently due to the traffic caused by the elections.

12. Niks

Computer suddenly slowing down when you are doing something urgent. Works fine when you're doing something unimportant!

• Sahil Dave

Happens with me all the time !!!
      The Professor is standing in front of me asking for assignment, the laptop starts really slowly sometime 3-4 mins booting, then wait for the explorer to open my folder.
      suddenly look at the bottom right corner, BAM !!! Critical Battery Notification !!!

Nowadays - my laptop overheating, really annoying.
      I know it not good to publicize your question but couldnt resist...sorry...
      http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/laptop-overheating/