How can I make my Android phone start up and shut down at specific times?

Rajaa Chowdhury September 19, 2012

Just day before yesterday I have purchased the low end android smartphone from Samsung, the Samsung Galaxy Chat GT-B5330. This has the Android version 4.0.4 pre-loaded in it. Before this I was using a Blackberry 8800 for ages (more than 5 years). The Blackberry set had a feature where I could define a time of the day when it will automatically start-up and another time at night it will shutdown. I could define different timings for weekdays and weekends too. This feature was very convenient for me. I for sure know, that such a feature as standard is not available with the Samsung phone, however can anybody suggest a free android apps at Google Play Store or Samsung Kies store, which will achieve the same functionality in my Samsung phone.

1. Marian Cimbru

Another option is using Automateit which can do that (of course, rooting is required!). Here is the link for the free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=AutomateIt.mainPackage&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIkF1dG9tYXRlSXQubWFpblBhY2thZ2UiXQ..

It does a lot of stuff except what I want. With rooting it can shutdown / restart a device, however not mentioned if a device is shut, can it start at a pre-defined time of the day. However, it was pretty close to what I require.

Dude, I tried Llama, and quite a few more yesterday, however none defines the condition to shutdown or start my cellphone at a pre-defined time. There are tons of actions and conditions, but I do not need them as my need is very specific to shutdown and stat my cellphone at a pre-defined time of the day. That's it, nothing more nothing less. So anymore suggestion Guys!!!

• Kannon Y

I'm wrong about it being able to the phone on from being turned off. My apologies!

However, I would still endorse Llama for your purpose - it may not be able to fully shut the phone down, but it can enter it into airplane mode. Airplane mode is amazing for battery life since it turns off all radios, including 3G and cellular network and you still have access to things like wake alarms.

To my knowledge, once a phone is fully shut down, there's nothing you can do to turn it back on automatically. However, there are various kinds of low activity states that the phone can enter into, in which it is functionally turned off, although still technically turned on.

3. Carlos

If you mean that the app will turn your phone completely off, I don't think there is an app that will turn it back on. If you simply want it to turn off ringers and notifications and then turn them on again there are a few that will do that. I use Tasker, but its not free..... It's very robust thou and can automate all kinds of things...

Hello Rajaa! I'm glad you asked this question - it's one of my favorite answers!

The app Llama does exactly what you want it to. It's known specifically for being able to trigger certain phone behaviors based on your location. For example, if you instruct Llama to start up or shut down based on proximity to certain areas, such as when you enter the class room or leave the class room.

Some people use it to send e-mails to their boyfriend or girlfriend upon entering or leaving the apartment. It's a pretty outstanding application. I believe it's one of MUO's favorite apps. An app that's regarded as being better is Tasker (but it's paid).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=llama%20auto%20shut%20down&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDYQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fapps%2Fdetails%3Fid%3Dcom.kebab.Llama%26hl%3Den&ei=2FdaUJO3F8PQ2AXh0YHoBw&usg=AFQjCNHd0yUuayKMlZiJ13ufxTtLM1o9zw

• ahmed Fouad khalil

thanks for the information kannon

• VeRn

Unfortunately there are no apps that will reboot your phone unless your phone has been rooted, even Llama as suggested above, got this info right from their site:

"Reboot
      Reboots your phone. This requires your phone to be rooted."