Why do my Android Market downloads get stuck?

Sunil November 4, 2011

I am trying to download apps from the Android Market, but before it’s complete they become stuck, and thus fail to install. Any advice?

1. Naveen

I had same problem.
    1.)Visit Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications
    2.)Tab over to "All"
    3.)Select the Google Play Store app, and then tap "Clear data" and "Clear cache;" then, select Download manager and tap "Clear data" and "Clear cache"

2. Xxskullxx

Go into settings>applications>manage applications. Go to the "All" tab at the top. Scroll down to "Market" and press it. Once in there press "clear data", reboot phone and try again.

• Sunil

hi

Thanks a lot for the suggestion
      I tried clear data and cache and on rebooting , the same stucking of apps while installing

3. Smayonak

I would try two things:

1. Try restarting your phone by shutting it down and then removing the battery, in that order. Then replace its battery and restart. This is a universal method with smartphones that have had issues, although it has rarely worked for me.

2. Judging from your description, the problem may be cache related. Unfortunately unless your phone is rooted you'll only be able to wipe your phone's cache - but not the Dalvik-Cache - which is the source of many phone issues. If you are rooted, you can wipe Dalvik from the Recovery menu

A. Try downloading an .APK file and then transferring it to your phone using a USB connection.

B. Using your Android operating system's file browser (if you have one) locate the APK on your phone and install it.

C. Then restart the phone.

3. If your phone is still experiencing issues, you can always try the nuclear option - which should fix your phone - try the factory reset method. It's easy to do:

A. Go to SETTINGS and from the menu choose PRIVACY.

B. Choose FACTORY DATA RESET but make sure your data is backed up.

Good luck!

• Smayonak

Oops, that should read: "I would try THREE things".

• Sunil

Thanks , it is very appreciable that you have answered so elaborately. I can understand your effort. 

I have tried reset but no resolution of problem

I would try the apktop client

I would also try the battery thing process

Note that apps from market do download fully , then automatically begin installing but get stuck while installing and fail to install
      I could not locate the path of download folder as manual installation would probably work

Another thing that you may like to note is, the market client was not orignally pre-loaded in device.Instead another client called App Center was pre-loaded in device

• Smayonak

Thanks for elaborating on your issue. That actually sounds like the source of the problem. It is a possibility that your phone does not have legal regional access to the Android market - as I understand it, your carrier should have advice on how to access the market rather than their terrible in house app. Who is your carrier?

I have heard of workarounds for this issue, too. The most common is to install Amazon Marketplace via sideloading (USB method of installing apps), which is every bit as good as Android Market.

http://amzn.to/getamazonappstore

• Sunil

The carrier/device manufacturer with model number is HCL ME AM7A1

• Sunil

Is the stuck same as mentioned on http://www.techcredo.com/android/how-to-fix-download-installation-unsuccessful-android-market-issues

and is any workaround suggestible?

• Smayonak

Yes, try downloading and installing the APK for Amazon Marketplace through your USB connection or by using the address below:

http://amzn.to/getamazonappstore

Get it on your phone. Find the APK file using whatever filebrowser is available. And then install the APK.

Supposedly Amazon Marketplace has better support in India or elsewhere, although I do not know for certain whether this is true.

Or alternatively, if you have problems with connecting using your USB, you can sideload using Dropbox. This is the easiest method IMO.

• Sunil

Even free apps through Amazon marketplace ask for directing to payment link

• Smayonak

Not entirely sure about this - but I think Amazon accounts may require a credit card, but you wouldn't have to pay if you wanted an app. There are ways around the credit card requirement, too. Here's a list of dummy credit cards: Some of these card numbers are blocked on Amazon. Some of them may not be. If you try enough of them one may work.

When I installed Amazon Marketplace on my tablet/e-reader I used the same e-mail address that I used to make an Amazon account, so it never prompted me to supply any credit card information.

• Sunil

If apps are free why do they direct to purchase link

• Smayonak

Here's an article on the Indian Amazon App Store. It seems they have different policies than in the US.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/amazon-android-app-store-in-india/20108/

• Sunil

Free apps in Amazon App store's indian version are free or would also link purchase url?

• Smayonak

Unfortunately, I don't know. I can't install the Indian Amazon App Store.

you can install apps if you have a qr code reader on your android device by uolading apk files to this site.

http://www.apkinstall.com

please provide feedback.thank you.

• Sunil

These are non-market sources which frequently lack many apps. You may suggest fix for main question

5. Sunil

I have downloaded newest android market but same problem - gets stuck while installing and therefore the app fails to install even it gets fully downloaded, and happens for other apps too

6. Mjevolve

hello Sunil , 
    i have noticed you regularly post your tech related problems and queries on makeuseof answers .

well , that is not a problem because that is what makeuseof answers is all about -- to solve the readers queries .

i mention this because , 
    you hardly ever revert back whether the solution suggested to you worked or not .

its not compulsory to inform that whether the solution , the steps or what was suggested did work or not ,
    but if you do , 
    it would be highly appreciated .!

it would help the many posters ,
    who try answering the queries of users like you by devoting their precious time and sharing their knowledge , 
    know whether the solution they suggested was in fact the correct solution 
    or 
    what actually worked to resolve the problem 
    or 
    whether they need to think of some thing else to actually get some thing to work .

this keeps the answerer feel good , encouraged and motivated .

and moreover , it would also help the many other readers of the website who might also be having the same problem , know that what will work and how to get over it .
    and that is only if the asker informs back .!

i hope you understand !  

a good day ...

• Sunil

I respect your views but you have forgotten that I have discussed,concluded and even thanked on your answers.
      Similarly I responded and even clicked 'like' to answers of other respondents too.
      Kindly see bigger picture of this issue before concluding on incomplete observation

• Mjevolve

hello sunil ,
        i m sorry if by me suggesting you something you felt offended .
        the suggestion dint refer to 'my' answers to your questions , but in general .
        if you just recap some of the questions you asked , you will find that many of them did not receive any response from you .!
        and so i said ...
        but if you do respond and keep us updated , 
        then please continue doing it and keep posting your tech queries :)

i or anyone else will be more than happy to try and help ...

• Sunil

In general I have provided feedback to answers. You may stop answering my questions and regarding feedback you may talk to website owner

Here is an example of what @50ab52dff88ff8e87a1b3fdcf3a8e108:disqus  is talking about, http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/nonmarket-download-client-android-devices
        you can help us with your feedback, that will be surely a benefit to you, me and anyone who is reading this. thank you.

• Sunil

Can you please test the non market option ?
    use the android injector.
    install apk files from your pc by connecting it with a usb cable.
    http://download.cnet.com/Android-Injector/3000-18511_4-75337986.html

• Sunil

I understand ,and I would try the non-market option which you mentioned. But I would like to use market. It is difficult to find many apps from non-market sources

It's ok..but whenever you try it, update us, regarding market option,