How can I make Android app Tasker to add a calendar event when received a specific SMS with instructions?

Mohit Khanna September 8, 2012

I read on this MakeUseOf article about Tasker for Android: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tasker-android-mobile-app-caters-whim/

On that page, there’s an anonymous comment below Saraht1978, and the person says that he/she has got her phone Tasker to do actions based on the SMS they receive.

I’m trying for a similar thing, but going a step further. I’m looking for help on this:

If I receive an SMS from my bro with text such as “ROHITCAL 8-Wakeup”, then I want Tasker to add a calendar entry to my phone at 8 O’ Clock with reminder as “Wakeup”!

Is this possible in Tasker? If that anonymous’s Tasker could do all that, then I’m hoping this can be done, too. Correct?

I noticed an older MakeUseOf article that addresses the question that you ask, although it does not use Tasker.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/adding-events-google-calendar-sms/

It's just using a special SMS trigger that's already inside of Google Calendar. You can still automate much of this process with Tasker, but it's just easier to enable the feature in GCal.

2. Dylan Brendan

An app called tasker for android is a great app. Also another great one is MYCalendar.. But not sure if it does what your asking.

3. Abby Rakshit

Best way is to use Ical files. as sent on and through gmail and google calendar, and since when you use android you have already configured your account with google account, it will directly be added to your calendar in the phone, but this requires a constant internet connection.

• Mohit Khanna

what's lcal abby? is it the google shareable calendar? Well that's no use if I need to make a new calendar entry on recieving an sms... but I'll check it out anyways... thanks.

Tasker
    is definitely one of the most complicated Android apps out there, with
    easily the greatest learning curve (to my knowledge). Which is why
    there are a huge number of online
    manuals,
    wikis and how-to guides out there.

It may be that you must manually enter your own Java or Javascript to
    script the behaviors that you want (there is a trigger that accept the raw code from Java/JS), as I cannot find any entry for
    calendar event creation. There are websites that provide code for these
    sorts of things, so it may be as simple as a cut and paste affair. The
    reason for my inability to find a calendar creation trigger might be
    that the feature doesn't exist, although there's no reason why it
    shouldn't.

For your particular purposes, it looks like you need to create a task
    from the "tasks" tab.

After that, figure out how to setup a SMS
    Event Trigger
    . There is a feature called "received text" event
    trigger, which allows you to script a particular action given the two
    criteria you are looking for: (1) time (2) content of SMS. As with any
    othe trigger, you can cascade multiple actions using events set to
    trigger one another.

Within the "Received
    Text
    " event trigger, you must fill in the "sender" parameter as
    your brother, using his phone number/contact info.

You don't need this, but the JavaScript for this particular Trigger as
    follows:

Text From/Date/Subject/Time (monitored)

%SMSRF / %SMSRN / %SMSRB / %SMSRD / %MMSRS / %SMSRT
    The sender address, name, body, date and time of the last text (SMS or
    MMS) received.
    These variables will be empty until the first time a text is received
    after they have been referenced because Tasker does not monitor SMSs
    unless it's needed.
    Sender name is set to sender address of no contact could be looked up.
    It's unavailable on Android versions prior to 2.0.
    Subject will only be set if the last text was an MMS.

Here's the code for a Calendar Event:
    Calendar Event Title / Descr / Location
    %CALTITLE / %CALDESCR / %CALLOC
    The title, description and location of the current calendar event, if
    there is one. If there are multiple current calendar events the
    variables refer to the shortest.
    Tip: find other details about the current event(s) using the Misc /
    Test action, specifying %TIMES for the data.

I found the Calendar
    Event on this page
    .

• Mohit Khanna

Thanks Kannon... I found this page which is also quite useful...: http://tasker.wikidot.com/step-throughs ..

I'll search for alternative way to enable reminders via sms with tasker... cause I'm not sure if a new calendar entry action is currently available on android or tasker... would probably wait for a reply, or declare solved later. :D

• Kannon Y

That was a good website. I'll have to refer to that in the future. Thank you Mohit!

By the way, I'm thinking there is an alternate method of performing the task that you want: Instead of searching for a method to directly create a calendar appointment from within Tasker, it may be possible to set Tasker to send an e-mail with the appointment time built in. I know that MS Outlook and Gmail have options to send appointment e-mails - and if you accept them, it's automatically added to your calendar. There's got to be something like that in Tasker's e-mail triggers.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/sV4G4BGWX7g

And if not, you can just create appointments from e-mails. It's sub optimal, but a good temporary fix until something more suitable to your needs is developed.

• Kannon Y

This is what I meant by create a calendar entry from an e-mail. It's an officially supported, streamlined feature in both Outlook and Gmail. Sorry for the double post.