Why does Amazon’s MP3 downloader give me a runtime error?

ethandsmith August 6, 2012

Recently, when I try to run Amazon’s mp3 downloader software to download music from my cloud drive, I cannot open the application. I receive a C++ runtime error screen, but where the file giving the problem should be listed, there is nothing there. I have tried uninstalling the program many times and deleting the registry keys left behind, and even installed an update to the software, but I still cannot open it.

It’s also odd that the program works on the guest account on the same computer, but not on my main account.

1. Jidiq Bhai

reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step.
    1. Click Start, type: MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press “Enter” to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the “Services” tab, check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” box and click “Disable All” (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the “Startup” tab, click “Disable All” and click “OK”.
    4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

2. ethandsmith

Thanks guys. I ended up switching the user accounts over. A bit time consuming, but it solved the problem, and it seems my computer is running much better in general.

I did try the msconfig troubleshooting, but it didn't produce any results. I guess it's just a freak thing.

Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step.
    1. Click Start, type: MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

There are 2 things you can try here: first, reinstall the C++ runtimes, though I don't think it will help since it works for another account and the runtimes and their settings are machine settings, not user settings. Second, create another account that will replace your main account (which will be later deleted once you are sure that everything else is working properly). If the new account works properly (it should), you can move across all of your data files from your profile and delete the corrupted account.