Can the Amazon Kindle Fire connect to Android Market without rooting and can it eventually be upgraded to Android 4.0?

basit147 October 27, 2011

I am going to pre-order an Amazon Kindle Fire. I just want to know whether I will be able to connect to Google’s own Android store without rooting or modifying Kindle Fire and will it be upgradeable to Android 4.0? Thanks in advance!

1. tillieannie

I've had my Kindle Fire since Christmas and love it!  Before reading the comments below I had installed GetJar (on that is mentioned below) and was successful with everything I downloaded.  The price is great for everything it does and when I go on vacation and need to make it 'hot', I'll simply add that feature through Sprint for $30 for a month and remove it when I return.  

2. blue5ft3

From what I've been told NO everything is AMAZON's version, not Androids, so they told me no..

3. Josh Fox

The Kindle Fire does not come with the Android Market, but it does come with Amazon's own appstore, which is pretty nice on its own. The daily free apps are an added bonus. Considering the modifications Amazon put into the Android system they are using, I doubt it would be easy for the official Android Market to be installed, if at all.

There could be an update to Android 4.0 sometime down the road, but Amazon would probably take their time with it to get all of the modifications done to it and tons of testing to make sure it's right. However, there is a bounty for a port of either Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich to the Kindle Fire, so it might be done through some hacks, but if it's done, it will probably just be a dual-boot instead of a full replacement.

• Kansas666

The Android Market will not be on the Fire. But you will be able to side load google apps through the Micro USB port or download apk files from the browser. There is no guarantee that they will work on the Fire though.

• blue5ft3

Well that blows so what do you recommend for a nice android tab, not $600 plus but in a reasonable price range? Thanks