What are some alternative solutions for using Windows external drive with a Mac?

Anonymous April 19, 2014

I am using an external hard drive with my Mac that I previously used with my PC and am unable to change the permissions. I read the solution in a prior thread, however, it required erasing the contents (backing up first) of the ex hard drive. I don’t have anything with enough space to back that info up, so am wondering if there is an alternate solution?

Thank you!

You can use Paragon Partition Manager 2014 Free to convert the file system of an existing partition. I'm sure there are many other utilities that are capable of doing the same thing, but have just checked the above, and it has that feature.
    This is risky! If you don't have a backup copy of your data, then any manipulation of the drive's format puts all your data at risk. I strongly recommend your backup whatever you can before you start. At the very least, back up those things you are not willing to lose come what may.

2. dragonmouth

You can backup your drive to the cloud. Dropbox and Google Drive come to mind. I don't use the cloud so I can't tell you more but I'm sure some will provide you with all the details.