Is there an alternative to Microsoft Publisher?

Hunt December 11, 2010

I’m looking for an alternative to Microsoft Publisher. More specifically I’d like a web app/online alternative. Anyone know of any?

1. Androclesw7

Try project rome by adobe

2. Arizonalegendsrv

I haven't used it yet, but I'm told that PagePlus is easy to learn and us, and is vastly superior to MS Publisher, and truly comparable to Pagemaker. Available via Amazon for 49 to 59 bucks.

3. Ed

InDesign is great, and getting even better with every new version. But it's overkill (and expensive) for someone who's asking for an alternative to MS Publisher. The first answer, by Josh Fox, is the best answer. Scribus is indeed a great alternative, and it's free. Scribus is so tight that it won't allow you to use fonts that may have problems in the press. GIMP is an image editing program; Inkscape is a vector illustration program. Both are not advisable for layout, especially of multiple pages. Scribus is also tri-platform, which means you can move from one platform (Windows, Linus, Mac) to another with it.

4. Arjun Bajaj

The best publishing software is Adobe InDesign....

5. CADaholic

I would recommend trying either GIMP or Inkscape. Both are free, both use layers, and both run on a variety of platforms. GIMP is more for raster images while Inkscape is more for vector images, although either will import both. I use the two together, depending on my needs.

6. Lucy Georges

Once you've figured out the basics of Scribus (F2 & F6) it is easily the best free tool, and the only free one that uses layers. It's worth giving it a try.

7. Xoandre Moats

Microsoft Publisher is a minimalistic imitation of Adobe InDesign (which is a great amalgamation of PageMaker and Illustrator with pimped out features from QuarkXpress).

The problem though with InDesign is that Adobe likes to charge an arm and a leg and a few vertebrae for you to get their software, so finding an affordable alternative is difficult.

If you have the budget and want a full-featured solution, try InDesign: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B32AVK?ie=UTF8&tag=xw-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003B32AVK

If you are looking for a more affordable alternative, take a look at Corel Ventura Publisher: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIQB2S?ie=UTF8&tag=xw-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000FIQB2S

8. Saikat Basu

Aviable desktop free alternative is PagePlus.

But I think you should give Project ROME a try. It has a desktop version and a web app. It is an Adobe project. I think it is free for a limited time.

9. Josh Fox

I'm not sure about web applications, but I always use Scribus for desktop publishing. It's a great open source alternative, and the standard for Linux.
    http://www.scribus.net