Is there an alternative to Google Reader with better starred / bookmarked items management?

James November 26, 2010

I use Google Reader on my PC, and sync with Reeder for the iPad. It’s great, but I’d like to be able to view my favourited / starred items on my PC by category – for some reason, on my iPad it does this automatically, but the actual Google Reader doesn’t seem to have this functionality. For example clicking on the “tech” folder will bring up all my starred tech items.

Does anyone know of either an online service that will sync with my Reader profile and allow me to do this, or a desktop app with similar functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Try FeedDemon, you can sync it with google reader and then unsync it, pretty much useful

2. Smayonak

That's a really tough question - you are more or less seeking the ubiquity of a cloud computing RSS reader with the customization options of an offline RSS client.

I have a novel solution, which meets your criteria, but lacks an essential feature:

A two component synchronization solution might be what you're looking for, using Dropbox and the Chrome browser.

In Dropbox, you can create multiple folders, with names like "Technology" and "News" and the Chrome browser allows you to drag-and-drop URLs to your subfolders within the Dropbox folder, creating a link. In this configuration, think of dragging-and-dropping as starring an item in RSS. Each folder within the Dropbox folder will sync across the platforms you've installed it on.

So, when you're on the iPad, you can load up your Dropbox folder - go to "Technology" (or what have you) and start reading all the items you've dragged and dropped.

The downside is that you won't be able to search each RSS feed's text, in case you want to search only Starred Technology items.

The nice thing is that pretty much any RSS reader, like Feedly, will work. In case you are looking for alternative readers, you may wish to read this article, on the top ten readers out there:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-10-downloaded-rss-newsreader-apps-movers-shakers/

Good luck and hope this works for you!

3. Josh Fox

I use Feedly for Firefox and Chrome. I find its interface to be much better than the standard Google Reader interface and you can select specific categories or lists within the app. Many people, including myself, love Feedly to the point that if it's not available for whatever reason, the standard Google Reader interface still just won't do. They are also working on an app for iDevices, so you could end up using the same interface for both places, PC and iDevice. You can go to http://feedly.com to get it for your browser, which it's currently available for Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

Josh, you are officially awesome. That is PERFECT. Exactly what I was looking for, and MORE, with a cherry on top of it. I can;t imagine all the fun I'm going have playing with all this incredible new functionality. Damn, google should buy them...

Thank you!

• Josh Fox

I'm glad I was able to help. I figured Feedly might hit the mark for what you wanted. It's been my #1 must have addon ever since I discovered it for Firefox. It made me start following my news feeds again.