What is the best alternative to Firefox?

Estefanía Andón February 26, 2012

Since last week with Firefox 10.0.2 update, working on the Internet has been a pain: FF freezes all the time so I spend 4 hours more than normal just because of this. I give up, I can’t handle not being able to do simple tasks every now and then.

So what is the best alternative?

1. Sylvia

chrome and opera

2. Ravi Lamontagne

Google chrome for me. Just as fast as firefox and has almost the same addons

3. mikiaandy

for Linux Qupzilla,

4. Jay.0

If old versions worked well, then install them.
    10.0, 10.0.1 9.0.1

Actually you are not alone, ff 10.0.2 crashes and freezes.
    I have searched and others also have this problem,
    It crashes on my pc sometimes when i have 40 + tabs, but does not freeze.

Try : help>restart with addons disabled

Thanks for the links, I will check them, could be better with names of the addons mentioned :)

• Estefanía Andón

ok, sorry, i didnt see that they show shorter urls. Its edited now :o)
      Just tried to uninstall FF+Flash and reinstall them, FF first and then Fl and it worked! All seems fine, almost for now.
      I tried Wyzo too, and its not bad,anyway it was having same problems that FF till un+re-installed all so...

5. Narendra Sadhana

The question hangs in the Web browser must be viewed cautiously, not only assigning the causes of a problem with the browser. Other factors can also trigger this anomaly, such as:

A hard disk drive with areas of delay;
    A high level of fragmentation of the hard disk drive;
    Presence of Malware and viruses;
    Large number of accessories and add-ons installed;
    Version of flashplayer adove outdated or corrupted;

In my day-to-day repairer pcs I've found that video drivers misconfigured or too out of date can also be a focus for this type of problems, including settings where also very strict security features.

6. Tomdevastor

Wow, what is it about Maxthon that everybody loves it? Is it really better than Firefox? Or just the next best that is very much like Firefox?

7. Jgiannavola

I'd stay away from Maxthon. It's unattractive and very slow. As a download, it is more than double the size of Firefox or Opera (so larger than both combined).

• Andark9

Unattractive? It's got a nice layout, size doesn't matter considering they're under half a gig.

8. Jgiannavola

Put me down for Opera. I, too, have an XP PC and have been using FF since IE8 stopped working. I recently tried Opera to see if they've improved since last year. They have. It's very fast. Compatibility issues have been taken care of. It is very nice to look at.
    All I can say is Ad Block Plus for FF is much better than As Block for Opera, but I'm dealing.

9. Vadim Popov

Sure - Maxthon is the best choise for you ;) Just try and you'll never comeback to FF ))

10. Larry Schaibley

Maxthon gives you everything all the other browsers can't.  Try it, you'll like it and never go back.

• Dhruv Sangvikar

what does it give which other browsers do not give?

11. Altmann Peter

If you need a Mozilla Base, take SeaMonkey, if not necessarily the one way is Maxthon3!

12. Marcol07

definitely Maxthon, i used Firefox for a long time but freezing and performance made me to change browser. I choosed Maxthon. I did right thing :)

13. Hhhhh

Download Maxthon ;)

14. UUUnicorn

SRWare Iron!

15. Werfewr

Maxthon is the best alternative! 

16. Estefanía Andón

Hi guys, thanks for your answers, apparently MUO cut shorter my question, i was searching for something with productivity pludgins, as need them to automatize some tasks. Chrome is not a bad browser, but some features need a clear improvement. Rockmelt and PaleMoon seem a good idea, Epic is a discovery, but while i think deeper on the subject, will try FF portable and hope it wont freeze.thanks again :)

• Jay.0

Thanks for the feedback, Yes ff portable 10.02 works well on my pc.
      If it did not exist, I would have told you to remove and reinstall your firefox. let us know if it worked fine or froze again.

Can you clear your question about "productivity plugins to automatize tasks".
      Imacros came to my mind when I read this. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imacros-for-firefox

17. Jay.0

Inspite of using chrome, you are looking for an alternative,

so, in addition to portable firefox,

I found more browsers based on firefox which you can try :

palemoon :http://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml
    waterfox :http://waterfoxproject.org/downloads (64bit)
    Epic : http://www.epicbrowser.com ( Indian firefox)

19. Karkala Nayak

Yes, Estefania, what others have said here is right. Go with Google Chrome

20. Osama

The best alternative is that which you used to post this question...

21. Jay.0

Actually, you are not looking for an alternative.

Use firefox portable, I have used it and it's the same firefox with all the features.

The only difference is, it's portable and you can copy-paste and carry it with you, I have installed it on my local drive.

22. Matt.Smith

There's not exactly a lot of alternatives. You probably already know them - Internet Explorer, Chrome and Opera.

Chrome is what I have always used because it seems to be the most stable and quickest.