Is there an alternative to Adobe Flash Player?

Shaul October 12, 2011

I’m looking for a free, safe replacement for Adobe’s Flash Player. Does such a thing exist?

1. nabeel

it make me full of angriness when adobe flash player getting error in installing n i want to see videos

2. Annonymous

Come on people!
    Shaul: Try: "ClickToFlash" ... it REALLY works!

• Allan

It may well work , but seems to be mac only :(

3. davidt

when I play any video a popup appears right in the middle titled Adobe Flash Player Setting, then it give s the name of some obscure web site and says that the site would like to store information on my computer. this is followed by a answer block with yes for deny.
    how can I prevent this from happening?

difficult without adblocker, try adblock
      also possible what you get is a malware? so suggestion never go again to that site.
      you can try zemana antilogger

As long as you are using a current version of Flash Player, go to Control Panel -> Flash Player. On the Storage tab, select the radio button to either 'Allow sites to save information on this computer' or 'Block all sites from storing information on this computer'. Either setting will stop the pop-up mesage.

Older versions did not have the control panel applet and it required you to use a web-based app on the Adobe website. I don't think this is accessible any longer.

4. anthony

i would also dearlly love an alternative to this adobe flash player. it crashes all uk tv players even you tube, its just evil from an xp user,

5. pheyton

adobe flash player
    hmm not good job resize over and over again download from beginning that is mystacke , and no way to change this just no option available in plugin
    XHTML5 is just bether idea acceleration from server point to resize to full screen nice dim option , no ajustment need but not al servers have .

• vh602

Translation anyone?

• Benton Virtus

Translation: HTML5 rawks, Flash suxxors.

6. blue5ft3

In Safari there is a nice extension that lets you configure and decide to play flash, HTML5 and others, there must be something like that for your system browser? I have Flash on my Mac for those things that need it, it's not against the law lol Let us know how you do

Do you want an alternative for flash plugin for browsers , or running local files like swf files and flash videos ?
    For browsers here is an example of html5 on youtube.

I killed the flash plugin process in chrome,
    and then played a video successfully.

there are many softwares like swf opener, totalvideo player etc.
    And you can also convert the files to a different format.

• Shaul

thank you.
      If I choose then I still need to kill the flash plugin process?

• Jay.0

No, you don't need to.
        I just killed it to test, whether the video can run without Flash also.

8. Mjevolve

unfortunately as of now , there are no Alternatives that you can use personally or switch over to .
    there are like HTML5 , but then that is restricted at the back end ,
    that is depends on the web site you visit . and that also unfortunately are not too  many .

if you would like to see the HTML5 and its capabilities in action , just browse through some of the websites on ---

for now Flash is the majority and so a Necessary Evil ..
    ( although the new development of Flash reports it to be better from the previous ones .. )

but , there is one clever thing you can do . ( and also i would recommend from performance and safety point of view )

>> Control What Flash content plays on a page and on which websites .

flashblock for Firefox   (  )

flashblock for Chrome (  )

white list your fav sites and toggle 'play' or 'not play'  on non white listed sites with just a click ... :)

hope it helps ....

• Mjevolve

guest = Mjevolve

• Shaul

It help and thank you.
      what you think about flash control add on compare to flash block?

9. M.S. Smith

If you want to watch Flash files online, you need to have Flash installed in your browser. There are alternatives to Flash like HTML5, but you really have no control over when they're used. It is up to the sites you visit to implement them.

If you are just looking for a way to open .SWF files, you can use SWF Opener ( Or you can just open the .SWF file with your Flash compatible browser, that should work fine as well.

• Dijit

He asked for an alternative. He didn't ask for the same thing.