How do I allow my wife to modify my Google Calendar on her iPhone?

Fred G July 18, 2014

I have a Google Calendar set up that I use to track appointments for the family, you know things like swimming lessons, doctors visits, parties etc. Works find for me on all my devices.

But I can’t find a way for my wife to edit on her iPhone. She can view ok, but she can’t add or edit, which kind of defeats the purpose of sharing it. She is a Hotmail/Live user and isn’t keen on setting up a new account just for one calendar.

Every guide I can find (that is up to date) talks about sharing to my own iOS device, which I have done, but there doesn’t seem to be anything about fully sharing a calendar to someone else, which in itself might be the answer.

1. Fred G

Thanks for that. I had almost come to that conclusion but there are posts out there that suggests it is possible to do what I was trying to do.

I will work out which option I take.

• Jan F

Well, you can subscribe and view a Google Calendar without an account (via the iCal, HTML and XML URLs). You can also confirm or deny invites to an event from a Google Calendar user without having a Google account.

But to the best of my knowledge you were never able to edit a Google Calendar (shared or not) without being logged in to an account. Otherwise it would imply that anyone who stumbles across the calendar (by whatever means) could edit your appointments and screw up your life.

If I understand the OP correctly the problem simply is that your wife is only viewing the calendar as a guest, either via the Calendar Address or the Private Address. Neither one allows editing of the calendar.
    You do need to be signed into Google and have the proper access rights to the calendar in order to edit it.

There are two options:
    (1) Your wife signs up to Google, you share your calender with her and give her the "make changes" permissions. Finally, you setup her Google account on her device.
    (2) You setup your own account on her device (which means she will have access to all your other data too).

3. Fred G

It tells me that she isn't signed up for Google and that I need to invite her to join.

Go to Google Calendar and go to Calendar Settings on the appropriate calendar. Select Share this Calendar Under the 'Share with specific people' section, change the permission settings for her email address from 'See all event details' to 'Make changes to events.' Click on the Save button.