How can I allocate more hard drive space to Ubuntu?
Question by Immanuel Jacob /

Initially I allocated 10 GB sof pace for my Ubuntu 12.04 OS. Now I want to add an extra 30 GB to file system from another drive. How can I do that?

• dragonmouth

That depends. You need to provide more details so someone can formulate a proper resolution.

Did you install all of Ubuntu’s files (OS and data) into the 10gb partition? Or do you create a separate /home partition?
    Is Ubuntu the only OS on the drive or are you multi-booting with another OS (Windows)?

Generally, when installing Linux, it is recommended to create three distinct partitions: root (/), /home and swap. This makes maintenance, backups and recovery much easier.

• Abidhusain Momin

Partition magis is easy to use, you can extend space by Partition magic or Gparted. But You have to do by bootable disk.

• Naoman Saeed

Try GParted or Parted Magic

Or you can go the other way round and install EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.1
    (Freeware) in your Windows from the download site http://www.filehippo.com/download_easeus_partition_master_home/ and then increase your Ubuntu installation partition graphically. I presume it will be a simpler method. :)

• Bahr?m

If you have installed Ubuntu via Wubi, this is your solution:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How_do_I_resize_the_virtual_disks.3F

• Ben Mordecai

You need to modify your partition size. GParted is a free linux-based option. I believe you can download a bootable CD.

See the instructions at the Ubuntu Forums. This is written for those installing an additional drive in their system, but it also applies to existing drives as well. For new users, using gparted is easier. Using the command line is faster for experienced users. If your partition is already created on the drive, just skip down to the part about mounting the partition.