Do you agree with Paul Allen: “Google is evil”?

Joeyy April 25, 2011

Paul Allen co-founder of Microsoft has labeled Google evil

Personally, I don’t, but he does have some good points. I would like your opinion as I have always been a big admirer of Google.

1. Mark O'Neill

If creativity, hard work and innovation are "evil", then Google is guilty as charged. :-)

2. Mindy SchwartzBrown

No

3. Argoson

I'm a Google fan boy myself, but i can only say that everybody have a choice. If you think that google is collecting to much info about you, switch to another service. Just like Facebook, set you privacy settings right and keep sensitive details to yourself. Following M$'s fight against Linux using FUD and patent law suits, M$'s hands are far from being clean. They are loosing market share in almost any area (OS, Internet browser, Mobile Phones, cloud services) so instead of checking where they can improve, they use scare tactics in hope of gaining back the lost users. But users are not stupid. Years of mediocre software development, security holes the size of the pacific and outrages prices have finally driven users to look elsewhere.
    So, Paul Allen: WE ARE NOT SCARED !!!

Just look at the information empire Google is building up.

First of all you got the search information Google Search is gathering (what you are searching for, what you are interested in, personalized results, iGoogle).

Then most of you probably have an Gmail account, which means they also know who you are writing mails to, receive from and what type of advertising/newsletters you are interested in.

With the latest change of YouTube being linked to a Google Account they also get information about what kind of stuff you like to watch (Music, Video, Games, Misc).

And it all comes together with the Android. Your phone numbers, real world contacts, calenders and whatever else synced to the Google Servers (e.g. the opt-in location service).

If you ask for my opinion that's kinda worse than Facebook... no offense, I love YT and Google but things kinda' add up - they could probably map your entire personality and psychological profile with those informations.

Well, the results of their mapping could certainly be very confusing in some cases, for example where computers are shared or where people mix work and private use.

Moreover, I'm not sure where the danger really is. I hope Google is not doing illegal stuff, like selling profiles to insurances or potential employers. That would be a scandal that *even in the US* would lead to them being shut down (I hope).

What they are already doing is targeted/personalized advertising, but everyone kinda knows that, right? So what other dangers or abuse of data do you see?

5. Roy

I think his comments show that irony is lost on some people. The economic system under which companies like Google and Microsoft operate depends on people taking risks, and being rewarded if those risks are good ones. Being a billionaire himself, Allen should have an intimate, first-hand knowledge of this. Yet he chastises Google for "pushing the boundaries" and then seeing whether you get "pushed back" or not -- which could be understood as synonymous with taking risks.

I guess it's human nature to think that something is evil, yet see oneself as the exception to that rule.