What affects resolution quality when streaming video from Windows 7 computer to (HD) TV?

Ray March 17, 2010

When you stream video to a HD (or other) TV using the new Windows 7 functionality, is your resolution dependent on your video adapter? I am wondering if using the Laptop with integrated (lower quality) or Desktop with Higher Resolution graphics card will make any difference.

From the experience I can tell you that the main factor here is your HD TV. Any average laptop nowadays (the integrated graphics card) supports much higher resolution than most of the HD TVs out there.

So basically to get the max. resolution (your HD TV can handle) you just need an HDMI cable.

I'z just way tired of all these damn cables.... LMAO

I don't like those addition cables as well but that's really the only way if you're after quality picture. The good thing is that those HDMI cables are pretty cheap these days.

2. Taty

The main issue is whether the video will stream fluidly or if it will stumble and pixelate. A good video card and good processor can consistently deal with HD. Lower cards sometimes just can't process the information quickly enough. My advice, test both and see if the lower end one can handle it.

3. Steve Campbell

Ray,

The resolution of your graphics card will certainly make a difference in the quality of your picture. There are settings within Windows 7 that you can play around with until you get your picture where you like it but I would suggest you use an HDMI cable to connect the computer to the TV and that the computer has a standalone graphics card for best quality.