Can you advise me about switching from Windows to Ubuntu?
Question by Cean Lumbaca /

Hello everyone. I have a desktop computer here at home and I am planning to shift from Windows to Ubuntu. I saw some favorable reviews regarding the latter OS and I am convinced on how it is good.

I need your opinion guys, is it a good choice to switch? The desktop I own is kind of laggy and slow. Here are some of my questions:

1. Does it support HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-one printer?
2. Does it need a third-party antivirus?
3. Is the boot up fast?
4. Are there softwares included?

Opinions and suggestions are very much welcome.

Thank you in advance. :)

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• Muz RC

1. I cant confirm it because i dont own it.
    2. No need, linux is immune to windows virus.
    3. Yes.
    4. There are many softwares and you can create you own to if you know bash.

• Timothy Liem

1, I don’t know bcoz I don’t own it.
    2. no need. Linux is almost immune to viruses and malwares
    3. of course!
    4. yes there are. there are music and video player (need extra codecs though), office suite, text editor, Firefox browser, and so many more

• Abba Jee

you should give ubuntu try first only in virtual machine if your not familiar with linux, if your just familiar with windows OS then try linux mint in virtual mint before trying ubuntu as mint look alike windows OS

• Aswin Kumar Nayakann

That depends on whether your manufacturer gives you the device driver for linux.

No.It do not need a third party antivirus.Because linux is the highly secured OS.

Yes.It is faster than windows.

Yes.Ubuntu has more softwares included than you have in windows.

Moreover you need not pay here for antivirus,MS office etc.

• L

about switching to UBuntu 12.04 system from Windows you will never go back
    to your former system Ubuntu is such a better system overall then Microsoft one big plus you will never have to install another antivirus program with the above.

I’ve been a big fan of Windows for a very long time it’s good but Ubuntu is so much better faster I’ve been a Ubuntu user very snice version 8 frist came out and i love it.
    so get it a try you will be very impressed

• Amichai Rotman

You didn’t list your computer configuration, but it seems it is the smart thing to do. Ubuntu comes with thousands of applications just a click away (using the Ubuntu Software Center). It is most likely it will boot faster than Windows and there is no real need for an Anti Virus, although some Linux versions are available. In fact, viruses are one of the best reasons (except price) to switch to Linux.
    By the way, you printer is perfectly supported: http://openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-PhotoSmart_C4480.

Good Luck!

• Francisco de Gusmão

1. It should work, considering the giant list of compatible printers…
    2. I never used an anti-virus, there’s almost no virus made for linux. Only if you wander around some very nasty sites you should worry about that (see available anti-viruses in makeuseof)
    3. Really fast! Any computer which’s no older than 6 years, should be ready to use almost right after the login on the desktop
    4. You have a giant repository at your disposal in the software center! (like an appstore) and there’s even more spreaded around the web…

The thing with any linux is that you have to be open to search for any problems that it could give you, and be a little patient with some things…

• Jim

BTW, I put in proper paragraph breaks. This system seems to have removed them.

The line breaks are there. What you saw was a quick confirmation that your comment was received, including a copy of your comment, which was held in moderation.

• Jim

1) Yes, out of the box, no need for you to do anything. Plug it in and it will just be there and work. Apple is the company that owns and donates CUPS (which is the printing subsystem). I just looked in the Add Printer control and saw the HP Photosmart 4400 series, of which the 4480 is part of that series.

2) Third party virus support is there, yet mostly unnecessary. I’ve never had a virus or even an inkling of one on my Linux boxes in almost 6 years. I do use the AVAST virus for Linux to scan Windows partitions that I connect to my computers for maintenance purposes, as I own and operate a small computer repair shop. Because there are antivirus program available it doesn’t logically follow that there’s insecurity involved. Even if a user were to get infected the virus likely would not be able to get out of the users account since most users don’t have administrative control. Rather, you elevate the authority when needed after giving it the account password, perform the operation, and are then done.)

3) Faster than Windows? Absolutely. The latest 12.10 booted so fast a couple friends and I were giggly about how fast it was. We were impressed.

4) There are tens of thousands of free full featured applications available for Linux in the Ubuntu software center. There are hundreds of thousands of free Linux programs available. Some popular ones are: Gimp 2.8, Libre Office 3.6, Lightworks, Darktable, Openshot, and even Steam (for your gaming pleasure) are available. In the case of Steam that’ll probably be a couple more months, but the closed beta is due sometime in November. The indie humble bundles keep bringing an abundance of inexpensive quality professional games to Linux. With the advent of Steam for Linux you can’t go wrong. Gabe Newell has all but said flat out that Linux support is outstanding and in some cases better than Windows.

As far as installation onto a flash stick goes, you can do that just the same as if you were installing to a hard drive. I have 5 different sticks with Linux installed that I use to boot various customer’s computer to perform maintenance, diagnosis, and virus cleaning. When I installed it I simply pointed the installer to the flash stick rather than a hard drive. I tend to use the 16GB sticks as they are under $10.00 at Walmart. There’s enough room to do a full install and add many new packages leaving enough room to play with some user files. And, if there’s a hard drive in the system you will have full read/write access to it (even NTFS), so it is not likely you’ll run out of space if you just draw on and write to the hard drive for user files.

There’s never a need to access the terminal as a user. If you choose to, you do so for ease of use. The terminal is purely optional and you are not required to learn commands to do any task in Linux. When you choose to use the terminal you can simplify and speed up certain operations. SSH is a great example. Most people that complain about the use of the terminal in Linux fail to clearly stated that there are more people using the terminal in Windows than in Linux in any given day. The terminal is powerful in any environment. The Mac OSX has a terminal application as well. The Windows version of ssh is putty. When you configure it you use a GUI yet when you use it you are actually in a terminal.

You sat down one day and you decided to use Windows. You started with no knowledge. You took the time to learn. You tried things out by experimenting with programs and commands in a terminal (cmd.exe, or command.com from earlier versions of Windows and DOS). The point is that you took the time to learn. You now feel you have the appropriate knowledge to use it at least adequately. The same will happen with any OS you choose. It’s a matter of whether you have the commitment to continue to learn. Don’t shut that off in your life just because you are getting older. Take the time to learn Linux and in a few years when the tables are turning you’ll have the requisite knowledge to be able to do anything in most environments (Linux, OSX, BSD, and even Windows), because the knowledge you gain about Linux is transferable to other OSes, unlike the knowledge you gain in Windows is not that transferable.

Remember one thing: Linux is not Windows and it does not try to be Windows. It is a full fledged OS, in and of itself, and is highly capable of performing any task just as easily as those you perform in any other OS.

• Joseph Bianca

load it up on a virtual machine thats your best bet to test everything out to see if it works how you like it