Can you advise me about switching from Windows to Ubuntu?

Cean Lumbaca November 2, 2012

Hello everyone. I have a desktop computer here at home and I am planning to shift from Windows to Ubuntu. I saw some favorable reviews regarding the latter OS and I am convinced on how it is good.

I need your opinion guys, is it a good choice to switch? The desktop I own is kind of laggy and slow. Here are some of my questions:

1. Does it support HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-one printer?
2. Does it need a third-party antivirus?
3. Is the boot up fast?
4. Are there softwares included?

Opinions and suggestions are very much welcome.

Thank you in advance. :)

1. Muz RC

1. I cant confirm it because i dont own it.
    2. No need, linux is immune to windows virus.
    3. Yes.
    4. There are many softwares and you can create you own to if you know bash.

2. Timothy Liem

1, I don't know bcoz I don't own it.
    2. no need. Linux is almost immune to viruses and malwares
    3. of course!
    4. yes there are. there are music and video player (need extra codecs though), office suite, text editor, Firefox browser, and so many more

3. Abba Jee

you should give ubuntu try first only in virtual machine if your not familiar with linux, if your just familiar with windows OS then try linux mint in virtual mint before trying ubuntu as mint look alike windows OS

4. Aswin Kumar Nayakann

That depends on whether your manufacturer gives you the device driver for linux.

No.It do not need a third party antivirus.Because linux is the highly secured OS.

Yes.It is faster than windows.

Yes.Ubuntu has more softwares included than you have in windows.

Moreover you need not pay here for antivirus,MS office etc.

5. L

about switching to UBuntu 12.04 system from Windows you will never go back
    to your former system Ubuntu is such a better system overall then Microsoft one big plus you will never have to install another antivirus program with the above.

I've been a big fan of Windows for a very long time it's good but Ubuntu is so much better faster I've been a Ubuntu user very snice version 8 frist came out and i love it.
    so get it a try you will be very impressed

6. Amichai Rotman

You didn't list your computer configuration, but it seems it is the smart thing to do. Ubuntu comes with thousands of applications just a click away (using the Ubuntu Software Center). It is most likely it will boot faster than Windows and there is no real need for an Anti Virus, although some Linux versions are available. In fact, viruses are one of the best reasons (except price) to switch to Linux.
    By the way, you printer is perfectly supported: http://openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-PhotoSmart_C4480.

Good Luck!

7. Francisco de Gusmão

1. It should work, considering the giant list of compatible printers...
    2. I never used an anti-virus, there's almost no virus made for linux. Only if you wander around some very nasty sites you should worry about that (see available anti-viruses in makeuseof)
    3. Really fast! Any computer which's no older than 6 years, should be ready to use almost right after the login on the desktop
    4. You have a giant repository at your disposal in the software center! (like an appstore) and there's even more spreaded around the web...

The thing with any linux is that you have to be open to search for any problems that it could give you, and be a little patient with some things...

8. Jim

BTW, I put in proper paragraph breaks. This system seems to have removed them.

The line breaks are there. What you saw was a quick confirmation that your comment was received, including a copy of your comment, which was held in moderation.

9. Jim

1) Yes, out of the box, no need for you to do anything. Plug it in and it will just be there and work. Apple is the company that owns and donates CUPS (which is the printing subsystem). I just looked in the Add Printer control and saw the HP Photosmart 4400 series, of which the 4480 is part of that series.

2) Third party virus support is there, yet mostly unnecessary. I've never had a virus or even an inkling of one on my Linux boxes in almost 6 years. I do use the AVAST virus for Linux to scan Windows partitions that I connect to my computers for maintenance purposes, as I own and operate a small computer repair shop. Because there are antivirus program available it doesn't logically follow that there's insecurity involved. Even if a user were to get infected the virus likely would not be able to get out of the users account since most users don't have administrative control. Rather, you elevate the authority when needed after giving it the account password, perform the operation, and are then done.)

3) Faster than Windows? Absolutely. The latest 12.10 booted so fast a couple friends and I were giggly about how fast it was. We were impressed.

4) There are tens of thousands of free full featured applications available for Linux in the Ubuntu software center. There are hundreds of thousands of free Linux programs available. Some popular ones are: Gimp 2.8, Libre Office 3.6, Lightworks, Darktable, Openshot, and even Steam (for your gaming pleasure) are available. In the case of Steam that'll probably be a couple more months, but the closed beta is due sometime in November. The indie humble bundles keep bringing an abundance of inexpensive quality professional games to Linux. With the advent of Steam for Linux you can't go wrong. Gabe Newell has all but said flat out that Linux support is outstanding and in some cases better than Windows.

As far as installation onto a flash stick goes, you can do that just the same as if you were installing to a hard drive. I have 5 different sticks with Linux installed that I use to boot various customer's computer to perform maintenance, diagnosis, and virus cleaning. When I installed it I simply pointed the installer to the flash stick rather than a hard drive. I tend to use the 16GB sticks as they are under $10.00 at Walmart. There's enough room to do a full install and add many new packages leaving enough room to play with some user files. And, if there's a hard drive in the system you will have full read/write access to it (even NTFS), so it is not likely you'll run out of space if you just draw on and write to the hard drive for user files.

There's never a need to access the terminal as a user. If you choose to, you do so for ease of use. The terminal is purely optional and you are not required to learn commands to do any task in Linux. When you choose to use the terminal you can simplify and speed up certain operations. SSH is a great example. Most people that complain about the use of the terminal in Linux fail to clearly stated that there are more people using the terminal in Windows than in Linux in any given day. The terminal is powerful in any environment. The Mac OSX has a terminal application as well. The Windows version of ssh is putty. When you configure it you use a GUI yet when you use it you are actually in a terminal.

You sat down one day and you decided to use Windows. You started with no knowledge. You took the time to learn. You tried things out by experimenting with programs and commands in a terminal (cmd.exe, or command.com from earlier versions of Windows and DOS). The point is that you took the time to learn. You now feel you have the appropriate knowledge to use it at least adequately. The same will happen with any OS you choose. It's a matter of whether you have the commitment to continue to learn. Don't shut that off in your life just because you are getting older. Take the time to learn Linux and in a few years when the tables are turning you'll have the requisite knowledge to be able to do anything in most environments (Linux, OSX, BSD, and even Windows), because the knowledge you gain about Linux is transferable to other OSes, unlike the knowledge you gain in Windows is not that transferable.

Remember one thing: Linux is not Windows and it does not try to be Windows. It is a full fledged OS, in and of itself, and is highly capable of performing any task just as easily as those you perform in any other OS.

10. Joseph Bianca

load it up on a virtual machine thats your best bet to test everything out to see if it works how you like it

11. Vishal Mishra

1.It support vast variety of printers. (you can check yours here:- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters)

2.You may use Bit-Defender and some firewall.

3.Yes it boots up very fast, but it also depends on your PC specifications.

4.Many essential softwares are included, but it is recommended to download "ubuntu-restricted-extras" from download center.

Hope You Enjoy Ubuntu.

12. Eucadio Novelo

I've been using Ubuntu Precise as my main OS and yes it boots fast. It come with LibreOffice for your documents, rythmbox for your music collection and many useful apps like Firefox for web-browsing and Thunderbird for your mail. Check this link for your printer question https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers
    Oh and there thousands of apps in the ubuntu software center that are useful. There is a version of Avast for linux and bitdefender but personally i think Ubuntu doesn't need an antivirus.

13. Boni Oloff

Your questions is very specific, since i have no the printer, then i cannot answer. But about the speed, i don't think so. And about the antivirus i dont you need one. About the app, it is not better than Windows and Mac. Not many software in Linux OS.

Read this comment I posted as a reply to an article on this website. It will surely help be fully aware on what to expect before making a decision Linux is a beautiful, powerfull and amazing OS don’t get me wrong but I
    certinatelly dont think I am will to make the switch at this moment in
    life. You see when using Linux as a primary OS you definately have to learn
    the commands to use in he terminal as a technication or some other person in
    the field of IT. I mean sometimes I do consider taking the time to learn the
    commands but as a technication it definatelly affects me in a bad way. The
    more time I spend away from Microsoft using Linux I start to forget how to
    navigate through Windows inorder to use different features to solve problems.
    If I as a technication use forget how to navigate through Windows it will
    not make me look like a professional haveing to playaround with someones laptop
    inorder to find a certin feature or even worse if the customer has to remind me how to get to
    that feature. Trust me it happens after using Linux for even a short period of time.
    Besides that when a student goes to school to study any software the student
    is required to use will be made for Windows only most of the time, even if there
    is a version of the software available for Linux or Mac the teacher will be teacher
    will be teaching you to install and use it on Windows. For example we are using a
    program called WAMP in school to learn php programming, I tried installing
    that on Linux after the installing it in Windows and if u dont know any Linux
    commands it just pain to install the program. The teacher in school also
    diden’t know to install it in Mac when a student asked so I would not
    of even bothered asking him about installing it on Linux.
    My point is besides making the effort to learn the commands those are
    some other things you will have to take into consideration.
    Just to be clear I will say it from now I am not in any way bias towards
    Linux, in face when I heard about it for the first time I loved it,
    I installed Ubuntu, customized it and showed everyone in school how cool
    it was, when u use Linux for the first time u feel cool, but after some time
    when u gain the knowledge of why most ppl dont use it u understand it dosen’t
    make you cool. Anyone reading this is free to use Linux it has it advantages
    and disadvantages I just wanted to let you know why I choose not to use it
    despite the fact that I constiantely think about it at times.

15. Indronil Mondal

check out the ubuntu official site it will answer all your querries

16. Jeff Fisher

Also, You may be wise to use Ccleaner on your Windows installation.

17. Jeff Fisher

Your best bet is to download Ubuntu and burn it to a disc. You can also burn it to an USB key, in which case you will need Unetbootin running in Windows. You will need to change BIOS to boot to either DVD or USB. You will then be able to try out Ubuntu without affecting anything on your hard drive.

You can check you all-in-one at linuxhcl (linux compatibility list) @
    http://linuxhcl.com/browse/
    Simply enter your all-in0one details in the search box.

You can use an anti-virus program and/or firewall. Generally, as with all software in Ubuntu, you would download it from a repository (free of charge).

Generally, Ubuntu boots much quicker than Windows. Variations of Ubuntu, such as Lubuntu, boot even faster.

Best advice is to take the DVD or USB route.

18. josemon maliakal
  19. Ramon Fletcher

1. Just installed a hp1050 all in one in Bodhi Linux (based on Ubuntu) HP web site has Linux drivers or advice and Ubuntu has hp drivers in repository
    2. Anti-virus not necessary but check your firewall settings
    3. Ubuntu is good Bodhi is even better and runs snappier.
    4. A great range of free software. Can also run MS Office with wine if you need to

Doesn't seem to slow down with age like Windows

20. Ramon Fletcher
  21. Harish Jonnalagadda

1. Yes the drivers exist and you can download them from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2020&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3418705#N193
    2. Not necessarily.
    3. Boots very fast, interface is fluid and does not crash.
    4. SO many software now work on Linux. Even Valve is launching its gaming offerings for this environment.

22. Patrick Jackson

The Answers of your queries are as follows:

1: Check your printer's User Manual if it supports Linux (most probably it would).
    2: There are very rare chance of having a virus in Linux. If you are not too tech-savvy, then do install an anti-virus like Avast or AVG for free.
    3: It should but it does depend on your hardware.
    4: Yes, all types of softwares and even some games are included by default, like the LibreOffice, an alternative to MS Office.

Hope this helps!

23. Bewar'of Codingdevil

1.No idea
    2.Linux is secure than windows but not 100% secure.use avira or avg.
    3.it is cool in booting speed
    4.yes many softwares are there + u have a software center for installing additional software.

you can install avg for linux or avira antivirus.The boot up speed is awesome.Ya many softwares are also included + u have a software center 4 downloading extra softwares.

25. Lisa Santika Onggrid

1. I don't have the hardware so not sure.
    2.You can use ClamAV, but it's secure enough to work without it.
    3.Fast. Way quicker than Windows.
    4.There are complete packages of softwares to get you right to work out of the box. You can see the list of provided apps in Ubuntu homepage.

• Cean Lumbaca

Hello. I installed Ubuntu now and I am loving it! Thanks for your comments! :)

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Glad to be of help! I hope your adventure to Linux-land is exciting and fruitful.

• Ahmed Khalil

i think it is right but i do not know why Ubuntu still not that famous

• Douglas Mutay

Too many ennemies! :-p

• Naveen Kumar

i agree with you...............

I don't use Ubuntu on hardware (only in VMs), but I have one box running Linux Mint 13 which is based on Ubuntu.I have a HP PhotoSmart C3180 AIO printer that works like a charm with it, so yours should as well.Third-party anti-virus is not a requirement and Ubuntu includes ClamAV in its repositories if you want to run anti-virus anyway.Bootup on my hardware (Athalon II X4 645 3.1GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD) boots to the login screen in about 18 seconds and I can have a working desktop in under 30 seconds.A default install will have LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, media players, and several other applications set up for you. You can also download thousands of other (free) programs from the repositories by using the Software Center (or apt) including games, productivity software, programming software, internet tools, system tools, graphics programs, sound and video, and science and education software.