What is the advantage of using a patch panel rather than a 4-port router and 8-port switch in my home network?

Robert June 6, 2011

In my new home network I have 10 ethernet connections.  At the moment I have a 4-port router and a 8-port switch.

I was thinking about using a patch panel in my basement. Is there any added value for me if I choose for a patch panel instead of the combination switch – router?

A Patch panel does not replace a Switch or a Router.
    A Patch Panel is a central point where all outlets of a network come together.

For example if you have 10 rooms, each with 4 network outlets (2x RJ45 sockets) and you want them all come together in a central location you will want to use a Patch Panel instead of putting 20 sockets in this central location to save space.

Other then that a Patch Panel is nothing more then multiple outlets put in a rack compliant form factor. It doesn't have any technical, electrical or logical function. It is solely a physical connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_panel

• Robert

Mike,

Thx for your explanation. 
      My conclusion is: to me a patch panel hasn't any added value.

Robert

It doesn't just not have any value, it won't do *anything*!