Why is Adobe software so expensive?
Question by Jonathan Mould /

I’ve been researching some video software and noticed Adobe is very expensive. I realise they have to make profit, but why so much more expensive than other brands?

Anyone know the profit margin for After Effects? Obviously, it is very high quality software, but most people have budgets.

With the exception of Osama Javaid. ;)
*envious stare* :)

• Osama

lol….don’t think that i got loads of dollars, i just wanted to get a great opinion, coz many people while commenting do keep in mind the price, i just wanted them to leave aside this factor

• Osama

@jonathan I don’t get your point about me.

• Jonathan Mould

In your recent question, you said “I want to get a video editor, it doesn’t matter how costly it is”. 
      I’d love to be able to shop around for a video editor without worrying about the price :)

• Sonny Bass

If you are a student they will sale you their software at a discount of approximately  83%. Then once you use the software and find out how good it is your hooked. I thought GIMP was great until I bought Photoshop CS5 Extended.  Just wanted to add that the student license is for Non commercial use only.

With a few exceptions Adobe products are targeted towards professionals who make money with that Software.Looking at Adobe After Effect 999,- USD might seem a lot for an individual but for a company, studio even a freelancer this is probably less than the profit of a single project.With the ability of buying [low priced] consecutive updates or upsell licences professionals always have the latest quality tools for their job with a one-time expense.It’s probably impossible to say what the real profit margin is even for Adobe themselves. There are so much people and processes involved ~ country managers, division managers, team manager, developers, customer support, sales team, software development, software distribution, update development & distribution etc…What you can say is that the prize is adequately for the software and targeted audience.

• Cmattbacon

lol. you need to study accounting. I guarantee you that adobe knows EXACTLY what their profit margin is, down to the penny.

• Cmattbacon