How can I adjust Firefox to allow copy and paste?

Mark September 10, 2010

I cannot seem to adjust Firefox to permit me to copy and paste. It sends me to the Firefox website but I have tried to understand how and try per what was said to no avail. Any easy to understand step by step directions out there to allow me to adjust Firefox’s settings?

1. orlando

frustrating,  just happend this to me...  goodbye firefox , i dont want start to changing things that must be there by default and the solutiuon its really hard.. Firefox forlder system changes. i work with java everyday in web design and i dont want this.. a shame.. it was the best until know. IE again.. omg. :(

• psychogav

Yeah it is nonsense, does the same in Prestashop. You cannot copy and paste. I love firefox but tend to have to use IE whenever wanting to copy and paste. Sucks

2. Jazyskowski

This is a frustrating, assinine, default feature of Firefox that they should change ASAP so people don't become frustrated to the point of abandoning Firefox and using other browsers instead.

3. phil

I understand the problem entirely. firefox by default wont allow web page buttons to copy/paste with javascript. i dont know what to change to fix it. something in the about:config page. thats how i ended up here, looking for that one tiny setting to put it right!

Have you tried another browser like Chrome or Opera?

5. Paul G.

You could try using the Hyperwords add-on for Firefox !

You can install it from here: http://www.hyperwords.net/hyperwords-7.0.1-Liquid.xpi

The User Guide for Firefox is available here: http://www.hyperwords.net/client-userguide.html

It includes a copy function that will pop up just by selecting the word(s) with your mouse left button.

But it does not stop there, it includes a search function, a translate function and many more things.

6. iGeek

It's nonsense, can't copy and paste

• Mark

Thanks for reply even if sarcastic overtones. Firefox is prohibiting me without adjusting settings per their direction that I'm apparently doing wrong.

Mark,

I don't understand your problem. Can you not copy and paste anything in Firefox? Like text in websites? Or what do you want to copy and paste?

When did this problem first occur? Is there an error message? Do you not see the copy and paste option in the right-click menu? Can you highlight text you want to copy? Have you tried the [Ctrl]+[C] and [Ctrl]+[V] shortcuts?

What is your operating system? Which version of Firefox are you using? Did you try to update? Are you using any extensions that could be causing this problem?

• Mark

I'm operating with Windows 7, utilizing excite.com mail server. Typically when writing a letter and trying to copy and paste something to that letter it sends me a unable to message.
      I will have to duplicate it again before I give you a actual answer but it does imply the need to adjust Firefox settings. I have tried but I may not be comprehending and able to follow the directions.
      I am aware of Ctrl C and Ctrl V shortcuts.
      I believe I'm operating on Firefox 3.6 but had same issues with 3.5
      Thanks for your reply and consideration to assist.

• Paul

Mark, do you get that message on anything other than excite.com? For example, can you paste something into the address bar, or in a field on an online form?

If the problem only occurs in Excite, then their technical support may be able to help. The reason people are sounding confused in their replies is because generally Firefox allows cut and paste by default. In fact, I can't think of any reason except security concerns to disable that function. So my first guess is that the problem is in the Firefox/Excite interface.