How can I best make use of an additional wireless G router?

Kalpesh March 22, 2011

I have an extra Linksys wireless G router laying around in addition to Linksys N router, which I am using for my home network. What can I do with the extra one to make the best use of it? Like increase my wireless network coverage or anything else.

1. Beelymagee

You can look into having the second wireless router act as a BRIDGE to the first. One reason would be to have first wireless router on one side of room and you want to use the wired switch ports on the second wireless router to connect a bunch of wired media devices (Satellite dish, DVD or BlueRay, TiVo or Google TV) so they have Internet access. The second wireless router isn't really an access point, but a BRIDGE to create a wireless connection to the home network via the first wireless router. Check the the second wireless router to see if it will turn off the access point and only act as a bridge or use the DD-WRT/Tomato option mentioned above to enable the bridging function.

2. pceasies

I'd look into DD-WRT and Tomato firmware. These will unlock many new options such as the ability to use a a wireless extender (not recommended with a wireless N network), use as a wireless adapter (that hooks up to the ethernet port instead of USB or PCI, useful for game consoles like the xbox360). You can also configure it as a switch to gain more wired ports on your PC.

Yes, you could use the router to increase the coverage of your wireless network (you'll need to connect it to over wire to the existing router). However, unless it is out of range of the existing router, it is more likely to degrade your WiFi performance due to interference than to help, so only use if for that purpose if you really need to. The other possible use is simply as a (wired) switch. Basically, disable WiFi, and connect it (again, with an ethernet cable) to your existing router, and voila, you have an extra couple of ethernet ports.
    Realistically, there's not an awful lot you can do with a spare router unless you have a specific need. Best use would be to sell it and use the cash!