What additional measures can I take to secure my WiFi network?

Alexis C September 19, 2014

Recently I discovered that someone got my WiFi password and deleted a lot of files from my share folders (more or less 30 FB, ouch!!). I learnt the lesson and now my WiFi is better protected: I changed to WPA2, hid the access point and restricted the access to certain MAC addresses and I have just finished reinstalling the OS just in case it was an undetected malware . Still I don’t feel secure enough and I was wondering if it is possible to limit the Wifi access to my shared folder (win 7 pc) just to a couple of devices: my notebook (win 7) and my cellphone (android kitkat), taking into account that I also have a media player (Xtreamer SD1) connected to the router via ethernet (it’s the main reason for the shared folders).

thank you!

One other thing you could do is place a reflector (made from a sheet of tinfoil or similar) next to the router to prevent the WiFi signal from traveling in "dangerous" directions, such as towards the street. Obviously, you'll need to experiment with the size and location of the reflector, but if you suspect that your network was hacked from the street or a neighbour's house then this can be help.

• Alexis C

lol. good idea. I just need to know first where the malicious person stealing my wifi is :P
      thank you!

You can protect your files by enabling password-protected sharing.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/share-files-with-someone#1TC=windows-7
    This will require all your devices, or any for that matter, to log in using a valid username and password from your Windows 7 machine in order to access the shared files.

As for protecting your WiFi you have done the most important steps.
    use an adequate encryption e.g. WPA2
    use a strong password (8-16 characters, upper&lower case, numbers, special character, no names, places, dates or dictionary words)
    use MAC filtering

The last step, assuming your router/access point allows it, decrease the signal strength to limit the geographical coverage of your WiFi.

• Alexis C

I will give this a try. Thanks a lot! :)