How do I make additional copies of home videos I have already transferred to DVD?
Question by Sheryl Crumpton /

I have copied old home videos from VHS tapes to DVDs and now I want to make additional sets of these for my grown children. What is the simplest way to do this? I only have one disc drive on my computer, so I didn’t know if there’s software that would copy my disc from the drive to the hard drive and then let me copy the file on the hard drive to a blank DVD in the same drive.

Obviously I don’t know a lot about this and just need help. I need specific instructions on how to do it, or which software would be best. I really appreciate the help, I am using Windows XP – thanks!

• Christopher Harlan

You can always copy them with the free tool imgburn. From there you can make an .iso file and then burn it back to another DVD/CD. You could also just take the videos off the DVD in windows explorer.

• Dalsan

You would need to convert the files to a format like avi to be able to use video editors like Windows Movie Maker or use Video Cutter. Try this first as it seems you can cut out scenes in DVD format. You could also try Wondershare Video Cutter which allows you to edit and burn from the software.

• Usman Mubashir

depends on what you mean, I suggest you make image of your disk using free programs like Daemon tools or Power ISO, the use the same software to burn the image to a new disk.

• Sheryl

I need to know if there’s a program that will let me do the following:
    In my only dic drive, copy a dvd (personal, not commercial) to a computer file, then before it’s copied back to a blank dvd, allow me to delete parts of it.

thanks to anyone that can help me. I have used Nero and it’s been so easy to just make additional copies of dvds, but now I need to be able to edit out part of them before they’re copied, as I said . I appreciate any help.

• Sheryl

OK, I have downloaded Nero on my computer and understand how to make a copy of a dvd. My next problem is that on some of the dvd’s, I need to edit out different parts of the dvd that I want to copy. Is there software that will allow me to copy a dvd to my computer, and then delete out parts of it, and then copy the edited file to a blank disc?

• Kannon Y

There’s quite a few video editing tools that will do exactly what you’re seeking – my preference is for VideoLAN Movie Creator, although using it is extremely difficult for a beginner, even though it’s one of the easier tools out there.

This is a simple four part process:

(1) Rip your DVDs and extract the video file from them.
      (2) Use a video editor (VideoLAN MC) to remove the portion you no longer need.
      (3) Save
      (4) Convert back to a DVD.

The hardest part is going to be learning to use the video editor. I have a lot of experience with them and continue to have difficulties. Otherwise, this should be a snap! Good luck!

• Dalsan

You could user DVDShrink to copy your DVD to your computer, then burn it to blank DVDs. DVD Shrink will make near exact copies of DVDs so you won’t lose any features unless you want them not to be included.

• Rishabh Sharma

You can use deamon tools,power iso or ultra iso etc..

• GamE

take image through nero and burn it

• EL

I like to use a free program called imgburn. You can download it here:

1. What I do is put in the DVD, run this software, and tell it “Create Image File from Disc”.

2. I tell it a location on my computer.

3. It will make a ‘copy’ of the DVD on my computer.

4. When it finishes that, take out the DVD and put in the blank one.

5. Run the imgburn software again, and this time tell it to “Write Image File to Disc”.

6. You will have to tell it where you have saved the ‘copy’ of the DVD. (step 2)

7. It will now burn the ‘copy’ of the DVD onto your blank DVD.

If you are not very much bothered about viewing the contents of the DVDs in your harddrive(HDD),then you would like to create and save the DVD as an ISO file in HDD.For this,ImgBurn software is best.

Download link for ImgBurn –

Visit the link below to know how to create ISO file –

Burn Almost Anything to Disc with ImgBurn –