Will adding RAM to my laptop generates more heat?
Question by Yau Kel /

I am using an Asus laptop running i3 2.2ghz with the gfx card Nvidia GT520M 1GB.

Currently running stock at 2GB. My question is will adding ram to make it a total of 4GB or 6GB generates more heat? I have BAD experiences with overheating previously and would like to avoid it at all costs.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Vedavyas Paruchuri

No – it will not generate more heat

• Alexandra Momo

Well, if you want to add more Ram, you can always download it: http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

I don’t think it will work, if you want to prevent overheating, I suggest you to stop some software that you don’t need and make some cleaning inside. There may be some dust blocking the air vent or the fan.

• Abba Jee

I’m sure the experience you had of over heating was generated from your cpu not from ram, you may have same experience even if you uninstall one of your ram there , you still can have same problem even if you install another ram

• Tebawiha Lelhchhun

Yes,because every time you upgrade your system,it requires more power and thus,more heat is produced

• Tony Gonzaga

No. Actually, it may help reduce the heat generated by the CPU.

• Indronil Mondal

Yes it does generate heat
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5564705_there-usage-after-upgrading-ram.html
    check this article
    my suggestion will be
    just add a single ram with more capacity dont use the two together if you r having heating problems

• Kannon Y

Yes, a relatively small amount. Your battery life will somewhat go down (in my experience, not really) if you add another stick of RAM. However, if you simply swap a 4GB stick for the 2GB, your heat and drain will decrease. You won’t get dual channel mode (if your system supports that), but that’s not a big deal anyway.

The funny thing is that heat produced is dependent entirely on the NUMBER of sticks of RAM that you use, rather than the total size of RAM. For example, a single stick of 4GB uses around 1.5 volts. Two sticks of course can consume 3 volts, regardless of total capacity. However, the difference is relatively minimal, since that probably translates into a difference of a few watts.

Tomshardware.com did an article on the subject of special, low voltage RAM. Where normal DDR3 RAM uses 1.5 volts, LV RAM uses about 1.25 or 1.3 volts. Unfortunately, while this did reduce system heat, it ultimately had a negligible impact on battery life (not sure if that little point is in the article).

Conversely, with more RAM, the CPU works less hard. And the CPU is probably the biggest source of heat production in your computer.

In case you’re interested, a low voltage 4GB stick of DDR3 from Crucial goes for around $20 USB on Newegg.

• Douglas Mutay

No. The more Ram you will add, the less heat will have.

• Jim Chambers

If you’re replacing 2x1GB SODIMMs with 2x2GB (4GB) or 2×4 (8GB) SODIMMs then no extra heat will be generated. Check your laptop specs. Maybe you can use faster RAM modules than those supplied. Is your Windows 7 a 64 bit version?

• Kelvin

Yes. It is windows 7 64 bit. I bought a 2GB ram to compliment my current 2GB. Both DDR3 and I think the new one is 1333mhz.