How do I add a port on my router when the internet gateway blocks it?

Anonymous January 7, 2014

Well, Iv’e been trying to add a port on my router but when I do so it says that the internet gateway won’t allow it. I’m mostly doing this to fix connectivity issues with a game called Dark Souls. I followed this guide but I cannot access the last step due to the internet gateway not permitting me to add the ports necessary. I am completely clueless when it comes to computers, honestly, so please try to make it clear and simple if you guys have a solution.

Do you have a separate router and gateway or do you have a single device that connects you to the internet?

As for actually configuring the port forwarding we will have to know the make and model of your router/gateway to give hints or suggestions. You should find that information somewhere on it's outside - usually a sticker at the bottom of the device.

Generally I would start by simply turning off any software firewall e.g. from Windows (within Control Panel > System and Security) or third-party. By default routers should cause no problem for connections required to the internet. Usually port forwarding is only necessary if you want to host a game to play with friends and others.