Can I add my own notification sounds to Windows 7 programs?

Gordon Hay August 22, 2012

I would like to use the first bar of The Doors “Riders on the storm” as my Windows Live Mail new mail notification sound. Can I do this, and if so, how?

1. Dalsan

Just for some advice to maybe simplify the process, you can download and use Audacity to edit audio files (after downloading the video and converting to mp3, or use a downloader that automatically converts it to mp3). Open the mp3 in Audacity, edit, then export as wav file. I've done this plenty of times without any issue, and don't have to worry about junkware being installed, and only use 2 programs to do it. Audacity also allows for adding effects or filters to help clean up audio before exporting. To export as mp3 in Audacity, you need to download the lame file and point Audacity to it.

2. Gordon Hay

Thanks for all your help guys, I've now got what I wanted.

One thing though, I discovered that I needed to edit the video down to the couple of bars I wanted before using Freemake to convert to mp3, then Freemake Audio to go to wav. Otherwise it all went as per your advice.

3. Gordon Hay

Thanks for all your help, guys, mission now accomplished. With a little bit of trial-and-error I found the sequence to be:-

1. Download the video
    2. Use Freemake Video Converter to cut the video down to just the couple of bars I wanted to use
    3. Use the same program to convert this clip to mp3 format
    4. Use Freemake Audio Converter to convert it to .wav format
    5. Use the Windows sounds box to browse to the .wav clip and select - hey presto.

Once again, thanks all.

Are you referring to the video in the link below -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbPUzhWeeI

Then download the video and convert it into mp3 using Freemake video converter -

Download page -

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Convert it into wav format.

And now,go to Start -->Control Panel-->Appearance and Personalization-->Personalization-->Change Sound effects.

Select "New Mail Notifications" and click on browse button,locate to the converted wav file,click open,then Apply and then OK.Keep the wav file intact in that place or else,you wont be able to hear it.You can save that wav file to other place but you need to apply these changes once again.

• Gordon Hay

Thank you for this - I've actually used VSO Downloader to get the video and convert it to mp3 - can you also tell me how to convert this into wav. format?

• Rodolfo

i used Iwisoft converter to convert media.It imports in almost all format you want..try it.

You can simply use Freemake Audio converter to convert it into wav format.Simply drag and drop the file into the converter software and click on "to wav" .

Download page -

http://www.freemake.com/free_audio_converter/

• Gordon Hay

Hi Susendeep Dutta - this is the third time today I have tried to leave you a reply to thank you for your help - for some reason the previous ones have not appeared. I have now done what I wanted, but I would like to add three points for anyone wanting to do the same.

1. If you only want a couple of bars of music from the video use the Video converter to do this before converting it to mp3.

2. I saved the end result ,wav clip to the C:\\Windows\Media folder with all the other notification sounds to avoid any problem with "Sounds" finding it

3. Watch out for the foistware contained in the Freemake dowloads installers - AOL Toolbar with the video one, and an on-line game app with the audio one.

Once again, thanks everyone.

5. Jeff Hamilton

As Bruce Epper said, but be sure you have the clip you want to use saved as a .wav file!

• Gordon Hay

This is the bit I'm not sure about - I knew, and have used, the steps Bruce describes with the existing sounds available - But what I really want to know is the best way to go about getting the clip I want and how, and where, to save it so I can use it in the way he describes.

Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area and selec Sounds from the context menu. In the Program Events box, scroll down in the Windows section and select the New Mail Notification event. Use the controls below the events box to change the associated sound for the event and Apply the changes.