How can I add multiple accounts in Thunderbird?

Osama Javaid March 25, 2011

I have 3 GMail, 2 Yahoo! Mail and 1 Hotmail account and I want to manage all of them from one place. I recently started using Mozilla Thunderbird, but I have some problems with it.

First is that I have problems in adding few email accounts. One of my Yahoo! Mail accounts is receiving messages while other one always gives password error, although the password is correct. Also, I want to know about POP and IMAP because I don’t know anything about these.

1. Osama

haven't tried yet, but i will soon try

2. Osama

there is one more thing, if i want to install a fresh copy of thunderbird , how can i do so? because wheneer i uninstall and re-install it, all accounts that i previously added to it again comes the same way

You can either delete the existing user profile that Thunderbird uses or set up a new profile.

In Windows 7 the Thunderbird user profile is located in the Users / / App Data / Roaming folder. In Windows XP you will find it under Documents and Settings / / Application Data /

To create a new profile, click the [WINDOWS] + [R] key combination and type: thunderbird.exe -profilemanager

Osama, did my suggestion work?

3. Osama

quite a lot of info, thanks

Maybe you should look into Inbox2.
    http://www.inbox2.com/

Personally I really liked it when I gave it a test run - unfortunately it didn't work with the security settings of one of my Email providers at that time.

As for your problem with Yahoo! Mail - I read that Yahoo doesn't allow you to access multiple accounts simultaneously when using the same browser. My guess is that the same limitation applies to Email clients.

-----

POP and IMAP are the two protocols to receive Emails with your Mail client.

When using the POP protocol the entire message is downloaded to your device and everything you do with it will be locally and independent from the data on the server.
    Depending on the configuration the Emails will remain on the server or will be deleted right away (in most cases the default is to leave the message on the server for 7 days).

When using IMAP all data will remain on the Server and (almost) any change you made will be synchronized to the server.
    Emails can be downloaded partially (e.g. headlines only) until you open the Email or it can be downloaded in whole right away. Also if your client is setup correctly any folder you create to sort your Emails and even your Sent Messages will be stored on the IMAP server. This allows you to synchronize your entire Email messaging with multiple devices.

The downside of IMAP is that ~pretty much all Email providers only offer limited storage size. With all message stored on the server this limited will be reached at some point. When that happens you are no longer able to receive new Emails until you free up space by either removing Attachments, deleting Emails or moving them to local, not synchronized storage/folders.

This is just to give you a basic idea. I was looking for a link but it seems like there is no adequate side by side comparison - when looking through explanations for IMAP you will always find some by-case-limitations (limitations that apply only to certain IMAP providers, situations, ...).

For example you will often read that IMAP requires constant Internet connection to view and read your Emails. This is actually not true. If you configured the client to download the entire messages you can read and organize them offline and everything will be synchronized to the server the next time you have Internet connectivity.

Always double-check the information.