How can I add more memory to my computer?

Rita November 8, 2010

What is the least expensive and easiest way to add memory to a computer?

Hi Rita, thanks for clarifying. As I'm based in the UK, I cannot comment on prices, but I have some advice nonetheless. First of all, memory comes in modules (little circuit board) called DIMMs (common in desktop PCs) or SODIMMs (small modules, more common in laptops). There are several "families" of modules that are physically different from each other (size, no. of contacts etc) and thousands of variations of these, and each computer model requires the correct modules, which sometimes need to be installed in pairs.

Since you are inexperienced in this area, it would probably be best to let a professional or an experienced friend do the upgrade for you. That said, read on!

First of all, head over to http://www.crucial.com and use the option to "scan your computer" to find suitable memory (if that doesn't work, you'll need to choose the make & model of your PC from the drop-down menus). Crucial's prices are competitive, if not always the very cheapest, and the company guarantee the compatibility of their modules to PCs on their database.

The "install guides" on Crucia'ls web site (on the right of the main page) show you how to do the actual upgrade. The process is actually quite simple, and the only snag is how to access the motherboard, which can vary from one computer model to the next.

Now you can decide whether you want to do the upgrade yourself or get someone else to do it. If you decide to go to a shop, you have an idea of the price of the parts, and you know it's a 5-10 minute job so you can judge their price. If you prefer to do the upgrade yourself (or get a friend to help), then you can order the memory online. In my experience (in the UK), memory from Crucial usually takes 2-3 days to arrive, and ocassionally has been known to arrive next day...

Good luck!

Rita,
    Adding memory usually involves adding (or replacing) memory modules which you can buy from various suppliers. Are you asking for the cheapest supplier (in which case indicate which country you're in!) or am I misunderstanding your question.

• Rita

Hi Oron,
      Thanks for replying to my question. I am in the US. In Florida to be exact. I would like to know the least expensive and easiest way to add more memory to my pc. Obviously, I know nothing about computers except how to use them...kind'a like my car. :)
      Is there something I can buy that can be added to my computer and if so, what would need to be done to do this?