How can I add the Google search bar to my WordPress blog?

Lewis August 11, 2010

I’m trying to put a Google Search Bar (with ads) into the main navigation bar on my website, but I don’t know how to do it.

I put the code into the index.php but it just puts the search bar at the top left of the screen, not where I want to put it. Can someone help me please?

My site is http://7ixi.co.cc and I want the bar to go in the bar that has “Home” and “About” at the far left.

Thanks.

1. Nic

if you are looking for the search box or the youtube search box or yahoo or bing i have create them. they work and when you search them they take you to there website. the google search box is :

Youtube is:

yahoo is:

hope this is what you are looking for. To behonest i didnt eeven  really read the question properly but i wanted to share what i have done. they are pretty easy to make, only took me 2 minutes to figure out and im only 15

2. Lewis

im really confused now =S do you have msn or anything so i can chat to you through it?

• John McClain

Sure! I have GTalk or email me: jmcclain [at] makeuseof.com

• Lewis

added you, on GTalk. I'm using meebo though as i dont accutally have it

3. Lewis

Sorry i posted a few days ago but it didnt work, I'm pritty sure that the address is the one that i put in but il try again.
    The post structure i mean like /catagory/post or whatever i tried it once but it didnt work.

• John McClain

The reason I think it's the incorrect address is because when you search for something, it gives you a new URL ending with: "Search&siteurl=7ixi.co.cc/&siteurl=7ixi.co.cc/"

It should be: "Search&siteurl=http://7ixi.co.cc/?page_id=52"

• Lewis

where do i put that? In the google search bar setup?

• John McClain

Yes, put just "http://7ixi.co.cc/?page_id=52" as the search results page URL and I think that should fix it.

4. Lewis

Okay i did what you said but now the search does nothing, I think it is something tondo with the link for the results page, I just copied the permalink that it said the page URL was,
    Is that right, if you know how can you help me structure the posts like MUO's? I think it would make this easier and make it more search engine friendly
    :)

• John McClain

Yeah, it looks like that's not the right URL for the search results page. It should be: http://7ixi.co.cc/?page_id=42

Try that to see if it works. Also, what do you mean by structure the posts like MUO's? You may want to ask that as a separate question from this one.

5. Lewis

Thanks mate I understand now :)

Will test it out now, il post If I get it to work or not

6. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

if you like wysiwyg, you could use a stiqr.com code snippet...

7. Lewis

How do I make a new page in wordpress? I made a page in notepad called it pageresults.php and pasted the code into it, and I think I choose to open results in my page anyway

• John McClain

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. What I meant by new page was just make another "About" page and call it "Search," for example. So, just go to "Pages" on the left-hand side and hit "Add new."Then, paste the code into the actual body content of this page under the HTML tab. Let me know if you need any help.

8. Lewis

Oh , do you know hiw I could put my theme on the page?

• John McClain

Go to "Manage Ads" and click on "Edit settings" for AdSense for Search.Under "Search Results Style", hit the option to open results within your site. You then have to enter in the URL of where the search results will be displayed. Just make a new page in WordPress and type in its URL.Now, just paste the Search Results Code into the new page's HTML in WordPress. From there, you can resize the width of the results frame to make it fit with your theme. I recommend that you make the page full width if you can.

9. Lewis

I have it in now but not exactly where I want it. I don't know I there's a way to overylay it there or something but I suppose il leave it where it is.

Does the computer have to be one connected to another network or just another pc on your network?
    Could you test it for me please?

• John McClain

I think you're allowed to test it yourself (just don't click on any of the ads of course). I've set up and tested AdSense for search on my website before and my account was fine.

It's working, but the search results are displayed on a plain white page.

10. Steve Campbell

I've seen tutorials on how to do this on youtube. Just search for 'navigation bar search' and you should find what you're looking for. There are also some pretty good tutorials on Fourblogger.

To test the search bar, try navigating to your website from a different browser/computer, preferably one from which you are not currently logged in to your wordpress account. Then, run a search to test it.

11. Lewis

I have got it in now but not in the home and about bar.

How can I test that the search is working? Because apparently if I do a search myself my account will get blocked.