How to add Google Contacts into a group on an Android phone?

Jack Cola March 13, 2012

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc which is currently running Android 2.3.4

I store all my phone contacts on Google.com/contacts, and not on the phone.

On my Google contacts, my contacts are either in 2 Groups.
1) Phone Contacts
2) Old Contacts

My Phone Contacts are people I currently send messages to, and old contacts are those people I would not likely need to call or text any more – think of it like an archive.

So, on my phone, I have a filter on my contacts to only show the contacts in Phone Contacts – so if someone calls me from my old contacts, my phone will still display there details.

This works really well, but only has one problem.

When I add a new contact, I can’t work out how to assign a new contact into one of these groups. So when I add a new contact, there information is not displayed. I have to turn off my filter – to show all the other contacts to get the information. It’s only when I get access to a computer, I can go on Google.com/contacts to add the contact to a group so I can turn filter back on.

So, does anyone know how to add a new contact into a group on an Android phone, when contacts are managed on Google.com/contacts and in groups?

Thanks,
Jack

1. Tim

This is marked resolved, but I see no resolution. I see a "spam" response below for "group manager", but that app doesn't do what the original question asks.

Where is the resolution, because I want to know what I should do to fix this problem.

Tim,

It was probably marked as resolved because it was found that this is simply not possible.

Well, for a long time, I was looking for an application that allows me to manage my google contacts & google groups directly from my android device. Now that I've discovered that precious application, I think it's worth sharing it with you :)
    It is called "Group Manager" and is available on the android market https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobappli.groupmanager

I was happily surprised by the quality of the application, so simple, so beautiful & so usefull. A big thanks to the developer for that !!!

3. Finn

I'm ever so grateful to you! I've been feeling like a right plonker - another colloquialism for my user dict. :-) for not being able to sort this out. I'm off to see if something can't be managed with iGoogle. I believe the solution lies more with "joining" contacts rather than messing about with filters. "GO SMS" has a nifty sorting mechanism within the App but it's not a standalone and isn't sharing any of that niftyness, not even with its GO counterparts.
    My Kluge-du-jour is the nickname field. I create slightly intuitive/mnemonic names for people I am in ready contact with (this requires the better part of an evening, a robust red wine, and a cheeky sense of humour. I have better recall of the nicknames than the actual names. Am I concerned that some glitch might inform my Boss that he's called 'Vlad'? Do I worry about the impact on my investments (my accountant is called WTF?? but the first word of the acronym is 'want', so he can be in no doubt about my risk management ..and talking of 'want', I don't think much of my son's wife so I have filed her under 'wanTON'.... hmmmm. Blackmail fodder indeed but I can truthfully tell you that my Accountant's name escapes me at this precise moment. Cheers!

Syncing isn't the issue, it's the adding and organising of contacts into groups.

5. Chris Hoffman

This doesn't appear possible with the stock Contacts app -- I'm disappointed; it should be.

Your best bet is probably a third-party Contacts app. GO Contacts EX https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jbapps.contactpro claims to support grouping, and I'm sure there are other free ones available, too.

• Jack Cola

I don't think I will be installing that app. People report it taking a long time to dial something, and the app screenshots are in Chinese. I'd rather a full english one.

But your right, I can't believe Google hasn't included this. Maybe it's in IceCreamSandwich (hopefully)

• Chris Hoffman

There's probably a different app you could use -- and you could always open it just to do grouping and use the stock Contacts app most of the time.

An app shouldn't be necessary though.