Can you please add a forum or live chat feature for instant answers?

Sahil April 21, 2011

This is just a tip which I think you should include in your great website.

Any live chat or forum or something like that which helps people to get instant answers.

When I submit a question, according to my standard time, the question is published at late midnight and in the morning I am unable to see because of work.
Therefore I am able to see the solution after a day or two.

I reply, but the question becomes old and therefore there are no further replies. Happens with me 90% of time and I am sure there would be many people like me as well. Thanks.

1. Jessprinsloo

im in year 9 and
    need a good topic for public speaking , im thinking of doing the
    changing world and evolution if so how should i start the speech ??

This is an odd place to ask this question, Jess. Anyhow, I would start with an introduction. Explain what your talk is about, what the 'changing world' and 'evolution' mean (to you and/or others?) and then proceed to make your points.

2. Sahil Dave

guys i have an idea for all this, how can i mail aibek to share it ???

you can email me at aibek[at]makeuseof[dot]com

If you have suggestions concerning Answers, please also copy me into the email: tina at makeuseof dot com Thank you.

Sahil,

I think what really needs to happen and which we are going to implement in the near future, is that questions are published instantly and can be edited later or flagged by users and hence blocked until edited if they don't meet certain standards. This would benefit anyone who needs instant help and is capable of submitting a question that requires little editing.

4. Josh Fox

I'm not sure about a 1-on-1 live chat, but a chat room or a forum could be good for all-around community support. IRC could be an option if you also embedded a browser-based client linked to the channel.

That's just my thinking though.

community aspect is definitely something we need more of. we are looking at profiles that will allow community leaders and points etc.

I don't really see much use there.

The thing is ~ when people read the words "live", "chat", "help", "support" they will ask whatever question comes to mind, however complex it might be and expect an one line answer within 5 seconds.

What happens sooner or later is that people will use it solely to complain.

Good point. Even with the answers site, people fail to use google first before asking. That would only be worse with a chatroom. Perhaps I could program an automated google search first that says "do any of these links look like they could fix your issue? - if not post it!"

I personally think that's a fascinating idea Sahil, perhaps Aibek will weigh in on it.

However, who would be there to answer questions? Of course, we can't always be there to help. I wonder if enough users and fellow readers would be willing to keep a chat window open to help others?

• Sahil Dave

hey james, thanks, i have a layout in mind, even if we are not able to answer instantly we can reduce the answers time.
      Hope aibek consider this !