How can I add a new file type to the Windows 7 context menu?

Justin Boyle September 20, 2012

I want to add an option to create a new .cpp file from the context menu. Any suggestions?

1. Saurav Azad

thanks rajaa chowdhury that was really helpful for me too

Welcome Saurav. :)

• Alan Wade

@Rajaa
        You could just post a link to the source : http://www.askvg.com/how-to-add-remove-items-from-new-menu-in-windows/
        that way the original author gets the credit instead of posting it as your own work.

Alan,

The only contribution of yours I see in every question thread is trying to bring people down. I am not trying to get any credit here, I am trying to give the solution to the question asked. For a change, why don't you try to help out on the questions asked, instead to poking around people for a change. Believe me, it will make you a more happier and fulfilled person than you seem to be at the current state of mind. Cheers!!! :)

2. vasu gupta

first download the extension for the file type and cut paste it in a folder

In Windows, whenever we right-click on Desktop or Explorer, we get "New" menu which contains shortcuts for various known file types. We can easily create new files using this handy "New" menu. Sometimes we may want to remove a few unwanted items from "New" menu or we may want to add a few necessary items to "New" menu which are not present. So in this tutorial, I'll tell you how can you add / remove items to / from "New" menu:

A. To Add an Item in "New" menu:

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. Now expand "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" key.

2. Now look for the file type which you want to add in "New" menu, e.g. for adding MP3 file type look for .MP3 key.

3. Right-click on it and select "New -> Key" and give it name "ShellNew".

4. In right-side pane, right-click and select "New -> String Value". Give it name "NullFile" and press Enter.

5. Thats it. You'll immediately get the file type entry in "New" menu.

B. To Remove an Item from "New" menu:

2. Now look for the file type which you want to remove from "New" menu, e.g. for removing MP3 file type look for .MP3 key.

3. Expand it and delete the "ShellNew" key.

4. That's it. The file type will be removed from "New" menu.

• Justin Boyle

Thanks! This worked great. All I needed to do after your instructions was restart explorer, and I am good to go.

You are welcome Justin, feeling great to be useful to you. :)

• ahmed Fouad khalil

nice job rajaa