How do I add a custom “invalid login” with a media file at the login screen in Windows 7?

Dpanesiu June 27, 2014

I would like to add a custom “Invalid Login” with an added media file, at the Login screen of my computer.

Here’s a few more details: I have a .GIF file that I want to display after a few wrong attempts to login. A similar concept to the Jurassic Park scene when the characters were attempting to get into Dennis Nedry’s computer, but failed, and as a result, the “You didn’t say the magic word” phrase was spoken and a GIF image was shown.

My question is, how can I create that on my computer logon screen, if possible? Preferably, I would want that image to appear after 3 failed attempts, but it’s not absolutely required if not possible. I know how to change the logon, logoff, and all other messages with resource hacker, but I’m looking to add an image (.GIF or a different image that I can apply a sound with it, such as .MP4) at the invalid login screen instead of a message. Is this even possible on Windows 7?

I’ve already made such a security alert on my computer for certain files that are being accessed with the wrong passwords. However, that is a much more easier task to figure out, and there are ways to bypass that security if you know what you are doing.

The problem with Resource Hacker is that it really is just intended to alter "what is already there". And since the failed logon only calls a standard error dialog this won't help you.

In older version of Windows the way to go was modifying/customizing the GINA dll (graphical identification and authentication).

Since Vista I believe you have to build a custom Credentials Provider.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163489.aspx