How can I add additional local disk drives in Windows?
Question by Tony /

Mainly Windows has 3 local disk drives, which is Local Disk (C), Local Disk (D), and Local Disk (E), which is in My Computer  folder. I have seen on many computers having more drives, like an additional drive (F) or (H). So how can we get that additional local disk drives?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Jack Cola

I would like to expand on Jessica’s post. You can:
    1. Add another physical harddrive to your computer
    2. Partition your hard drive (split it into multiple drives). So a 100GB physical harddrive (c:) can be split into 4 25GB hd (C, D, E, F))
    3. Add a external USB hard drive
    4. Insert flash drives or multiple flash drives
    5. Map a whole lot of network drives – if you have a home network. Eg. //MEDIAPC/DOWNLOADS/MOVIES/ can point to Z: drive – can do this many times as you like.
    6. Use Daemon Tools to create a heap of virtual DVD drives
    7. Insert (or add) a card reader

I think that’s all you can do to get more drives.
    In my setup I have:
    1 HDD split into 3 partitions C: – Operating System, D: – Recovery, E: – Files and Storage
    1 External HDD Drive – K:
    1 DVD Drive – F:
    1 Virtual DVD Drive I:
    3 Card Readers – G:, H, J
    1 USB Flash Drive l:

And I could have some Map Network drives to other computers.

While I am on this topic, what happens when you have filled up drive letters A to Z and insert a USB flash drive? I have never tried it before. Will it deny you?

You can add additional hard drives or re-partition the ones that you have as Jessica said above. A drive letter simply represents a partition on your system. A single drive can have multiple drive letters.

You can also plug in a hard drive connected to a ide to usb adapter or sata to usb adapter which will give you more space and more drive letters.

What are you looking to do specifically or are you just curious?

• Jessica Cam W.

To get additional drives, you could either:

1. Plug in a USB flash drive, USB hard drive (external/portable hard drives that you can purchase at Amazon or Best Buy), or a hard drive from an older laptop/computer (in a USB enclosure that you have to buy), OR

2. Partition your hard drive in volumes (kind of like cutting your big hard drive in smaller pieces for your data). Advanced geek level is required to deal with hard drives in general, and even more so with partitioning and formatting.

If you have sufficient space on your disks, you could just create folders and separate files into them, because for most users, that’s usually enough, instead of having to deal with different volumes and drives.