Is ActiveX a standalone download anywhere?

John Fahlsing May 16, 2012

My friend thought ActiveX was a part of a game add on, and using Advanced SystemCare uninstalled the program. Well, you know the rest.

I searched the universe and all I could find is, Fix the problem with this easy tool, and update this or that. Well, I need to put it on a stick or USB device, CD or something and install it on his PC. No he’s not on the www. So ergo, standalone download? Thanks.

ActiveX is not a product per se. It is a software technology developed by Microsoft as a means to provide extensibility to programs. It was first used heavily in Internet Explorer (and still is today). It is used to provide plugin functionaliy for IE including toolbars, the Adobe Reader plugin, and all of the other "extras" that people slap into the browser.

There are 3 ways which should fix native ActiveX issues: you can do a repair install of Windows or you can reinstall whatever version of IE is currently on the machine, and the last is to use System Restore use a recovery point prior to the use of ASC. The first should work every time, the second is a crap shoot, and the third is probably the one you should try first (unless you don't have a restore point that is old enough or they were whacked with the ASC cleanup).

2. Laga Mahesa

As far as I know, ActiveX has not had a seperate download since Windows 98. Installing THAT on a more current operating system will result in tears. If a repair of the Windows installation doesn't work, you'll have to reinstall I'm afraid.