Is active or passive 3D better?

Nayyer Toor October 2, 2012

What is a better technology to buy, Active 3D or Passive 3D?

1. Ashli

Passive is far better!! I did a ton of research and I currently own a passive 3d tv. It is awesome!!!

• Luke

I agree with Ashli, although all of the technical data mentioned above is correct (full 1080p to each eye etc etc), it actually doesn't make any difference at all. For the average person watching 3DTV you would not be able to tell the difference between Passive and Active - seriously. Passive is cheaper, just as good and doesn't require batteries!
      I have an LG Passive LED TV and it is awesome, every single person I've showed it to agrees, INCLUDING an owner of a Samsung Active Lens 3DTV!!

To put it bluntly - don't worry about active vs passive (although passive is the better option :-) ), just read the reviews on the actual TV you are buying and make sure you test it first!
      Happy viewing!

2. Joske

Lately there was a report from *Display Mate" and it contributes to the 3D discussion:

http://www.displaymate.com/3D_TV_ShootOut_1.htm

3. Another Googler

Active 3d is better but the glasses are very heavy.

4. hamad3914

In simple words, Passive 3D is like 3D which is not exactly 3D so Active is much better

5. Alex Perkins

Try before you buy if you can, Active is better quality but can cause some people sore head/eye fatigue. So if you suffer from these when you try active 3D then go with Passive.

6. HLJonnalagadda

I have an active 3DTV and it is incredible. The images are so vivid it's insane. But there is quiet a strain on the eye and I find that I cannot view it for longer duration of time. As this is caused by those annoying glasses, do try a demo of the shutter glasses and see which suit your needs better.

7. Wil Perez

Active 3D is better since the glasses dim your surroundings and immerse you in a full 3D environment. The Passive glasses lack the dimming feature since the glasses are not powered.

The only con to Active 3D is:
    *Expensive Glasses
    *They require Charging, for movies 3+ hours long it may be an issue.

8. HLJonnalagadda

I have an active 3DTV, and while the clarity is incredible, I am not able to view the screen for longer durations of time.
    So, best take a demo and see which suits you better and go for it.

9. Dimal Chandrasiri

Nice review from cNet.com You''ll find your answer but it''s not good!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57437344-221/active-3d-vs-passive-3d-whats-better/

perhaps depends on the TV manufacturer.

Passive 3D ((Polarized) is only available on LCD displays!. With passive 3D, the viewer will see 540 lines of resolution to each eye, or half 1080p (provided the source is 1080p), the picture will have less depth and quality than one of 1080p. the polarized filter on the screen has to be aimed. And that means there is an optimal viewing angle. If you stray too far from it, severe anomalies like ghosting start cropping up, making the output intolerable. Passive glasses are light , they do not cause any headaches and discomfort since the glasses are not actively opening and closing, there is no loss of synchronization, no battery change and they are economical.

With active 3D (active shutter glasses), viewers are able to see full 1080p to each eye if the inbuilt TV technology allows for it. it can tire the eyes giving us some headache. if you want to see the full HD 1080p image when watching 3D movies you will need to buy an Active 3D. The way that active 3D TVs work is that they use glasses that essentially have mini LCD screens in each eye. The 3D TV itself displays the full 1080p image for the one eye and then the full 1080p image for the other eye, alternating between the two hundreds of times a second. This process is then synched, so that when the 3D TV shows the left eye image the right eye lens is dark and conversely when the right eye image is being shown, the left eye lens is dark. This ensures that each eye only sees the image intended for that eye, allowing the brain to then combine these discreet images into a 3D picture. An active 3D TV includes an emitter which can use either IR (infra-red) or RF (radio frequency) to connect with glasses, this can be source of potential issues In the case of IR, the need for line-of-sight between the glasses and the emitter can result in a loss of synch and therefore a loss of the 3D image. typical 3D televisions are limited to 24 FPS at 1080p That's fine for a Blu-ray movie but ,ot for games, you have to look for 3D Vision-certified monitors and for video cards "fast HDMI" standard that are able to serve up 60 FPS at 1080p over HDMI.

• Ashli

I have an LED/LCD (All LED has LCD) and I have a passive 3d tv. LOVE IT!

11. gigabyte

can you please give us more information
    ?

• gigabyte

ginve us more info...

12. muotechguy

Although, you should try it first; many people complain of headaches when using active shutter glasses.

13. muotechguy

Active 3D is far better, with less bleed between the images