Why does my Acer Aspire laptop randomly freeze?

April 9, 2014

I’m using Acer aspire 5738 laptop with a Core 2 Duo 4 GB Ram, 320 HDD, 2.20 GHz.

It used to be when I’m trying to access any games the system freezes. The only way to get out is by holding the power button. A massive sound comes when this happens!

But now even if I didn’t use any game it freezes, sometimes even at the start screen. I don’t know what to do I have tried everything clean boot, formatting , system clean up , everything. please help I’m a network engineer. I cant do any work without my laptop even while doing the configs the system freezes!

1. Howard B

Your CPU or GPU fan may be failing. Clean out the inside of the laptop to remove dust and dirt that may be clogging the fan(s), and see if there's a "PC Health" section of the BIOS that will show fan speeds; monitor the fan speeds for a few minutes to make sure they're not slowing down or stopping.

2. dragonmouth

I would say that it is acombination of factors: the games you play are over-stressing the system and, since the problem has become worse over time, your laptop needs a good cleanng.

3. Jeff F

I have a feeling either your pushing her too hard for her old age or your laptop is physically overheating. As you probably know, modern software running on old hardware can induce some performance issues very quickly. If you're not comfortable with taking a laptop apart and dusting it out take it to a local computer repair professional and ask them to do it. Radioshack and other similar stores (not best buy!) may also help you with this.

This could also be because your system memory is too full, so Windows is forced to write some of the very fast memory over to the very slow hard drive. As you can imagine, this process takes a while and may be the source of this 'gltiching'. If this is the case, which can be confirmed by watching your memory utilization via the task manager just before and after the freeze, may be fixed by adding more onboard memory and increasing the size of your swap partition.

Use the MSCONFIG utility to disable unnecessary start up programs. If you don't need them all the time, don't have them start with Windows.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en
    1) open cmd with administrative rights:
    2) on the cmd black screen type: sfc /scannow and hit enter, wait the scan to finish, reboot.
    you can try to run sfc/scannow at boot time
    How to Run "SFC /SCANNOW" Command at Boot or in Windows 8 and 8.1
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html

1) Open device manager
    2) locate graphic card driver
    3) right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delte)
    4) reboot, windows will install the graphic driver

it can be driver problem so you have to update.
    try to reset cmos battery
    can be ram problem you can do ram test