I accidentally deleted the Print Spooler service, how do I get it back?
Question by Vidios /

While running around with Process Hacker, I accidentally allowed the deletion of the Spooler service that handles just about everything relating to printing.

If that weren’t enough, for some odd reason, Windows System Restore does not want to function properly, no matter which restore point I decide to use. I keep getting ‘unknown’ errors regardless.

So, how can I reinstate the Print Spooler service manually? I’m pretty sure I have the tools to do it.

I’m running Windows Vista SP2 on a relatively quick computer.
I deleted the service (and think I can re-instate it) using Process Hacker- see http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/index.php

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software

• Saikat Basu

There’s this support article for Windows Vista system which talks about resetting the print spooler. See if the solution helps.

• Vidios

Unfortunately, I stumbled on that exact support article and used the fix, which tried to restart the non-existent service…

I managed to get a screenshot from another system I own (Win XP, though) that showed the properties of the spooler service. I then managed to find the exe needed and managed to put the service back, somewhat. Printing works and whatnot, but I’m afraid that if I don’t put things back exactly as before, something may foul up in the future.

If the printing works now I wouldn’t bother about it.