How do I know if someone has accessed my USB drive?

Antonio Velázquez January 23, 2012

I left my USB at a friend’s house, and I believe he saw some personal files I had in it.

I’m a fool ’cause they weren’t password protected, I know. but right now I want software or something that can tell me the “history” of my USB. I mean, the latest opened or copied documents.

Is there anything like that?

1. Orr Andrewm

Truecrypt is your best bet. It's free and works very well. Also simple to use.

2. Antonio Velázquez

Thanks to you all! apparently, my friend didn't check anything :)

• zh23

Hey man ! I am in a similar situation and I feel my files have been compromised recently. Can you tell me how you came to your conclusion ?

Thanks !

Really appreciate your help :)

• Oron

One simple way is to check the "date accesed" details for the relevant files. Only problem is, you mustn't open the files yourself between the time you got the disk back and the check!

• zh23

Hey ! I happen to have windows 7 and this date accessed feature is not enabled. And I know my friend has windows 7 too so the date won't be updated even if he accessed it.

Just have a look at when the files where last accessed by right clicking on the files you want to see if they are accessed and select properties. It will show the last access date (when the file was last opened), Last modified date (when the file was last saved). If these dates are different to what you think they should be, someone has probably read them.

4. Paul

Depending on how many files you have on the USB, what you can do is right-click on the files and click properties.  There it should give you information about the file such as when it was created, last modified, and last accessed.  That way you can see if the files were opened while the USB was in the possession of your friend.  

This works if you only have a few files to go through.  If there are a lot of files, I'm sure there are programs out there that can give this kind of information in a larger setting.

• Bh0687

This would work using the detail view in windows explorer (if your using that Operating System)
      but ive found using properties then the last accessed entries is the present rather than the previous time it was opened, helpful...not lol

5. Oscardp321

You can right click the files and select properties. It should tell you in the window the last time it has been modified which updates if someone opens to read.

6. Antonio Velázquez

not what i was looking for, but it seems a good tool to password protect my files... and yes, it seems to work on USB

Hello, if it was to find USB history in your computer, you could use USBDeview by nirsoft.  It probably will not tell you what files were opened, by it would tell you the last time/date it was plug in:

Also, you could find the history in registry under USB and USBStor entries.  Only problem is, you would have to access registry in your friend's computer.  To see the history you could navigate to next two entries in registry.  It would only tell you the last time it was accessed and also when was accessed the first time:

• Antonio Velázquez

thanks for your answer, perhaps i'll need to check my friend's computer :S bloody hell :(