How can I access Windows XP on a dual boot system?

Tom Christo June 18, 2011

I have dual boot on my PC with Windows XP and Windows 7. I changed an entry accidentally in startup and now Windows XP will not boot up, but gets to the Windows screen then starts to close down and then back to starting up and so on, one continuous loop.

I can get into Windows 7 and see all the Windows XP files. How can I access the registry, so that I can make sure that the service or program starts at Windows bootup?

Tom,

were you able to access your Windows XP installation following FIDELIS' tips? Please let us know. Thank you!

Hello, what I would do would be to download the software on this site:  http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd. 

The reason I am recommending this to you is so that you could use the mini xp installation that comes with it.   Once you downloaded the file follow the next steps:

-- burn downloaded file to dvd/cd and leave the disk on the drive. 
    -- restart your computer and change BIOS so that your computer reads dvd/cd first
    -- once cd/dvd starts, choose the mini xp installation from menu
    -- once mini xp starts, you can access the registry of your sick xp installation by doing the following:

** click on start
    ** click on run
    ** type regedit
    ** navigate to the registry entry you want fixed

Also, if it is a start up entry you could try the msconfig command and mark the entry to start up with windows.
    -- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type msconfig
    -- on menu, click on startup
    -- checkmark the entry you want to enable

You can also access the services from msconfig, follow the previous steps and instead of choosing startup on menu, choose services.