How can I access Windows Vista backups through Linux?

Myke46 November 18, 2010

What Linux distro can I use to access a backup for Windows Vista Basic from a non-bootable external hard drive? There are backups from Comodo Time Machine and from FBbackup.

I was in the process of setting up recovery methods because the System Restore in my Windows Vista seems to have disappeared (I know,out of character for everyone’s favorite Windows OS). I tried to use the repair disk, but it does not recognize the backups in the external hard drive (Seagate Expansion 500 GB).

If anyone has suggestions, HELP! If you need any additional information please ask and I will be more than happy to provide it.

The last thing, I downloaded was Flexcript (?). When I went to re boot, it didn’t.

1. Izieh

trying installing the backup programs on another windows machine, if you only have linux and those programs don't support, I guess your out of luck. But I don't really know, I'm just guessing.

• Myke46

Izeh, Let me clarify: It is a PressarioCQ50-103NR with Vista Basic(factory loaded) The only reason I mentioned Linux is because I have (or can make) bootable USB drives so I can get into my machine that way.I am a newbie but I know some Linux distros can be used to access windows filing system and also endless other things.

• jhpot

I'm fairly certain Comodo backups are simple directory copies. You should just be able to browse them with any Linux file browser.

• Myke46

Another option I am considering:Is there a safe(non-data destroying) method of making the external harddrive bootable? If I can do that I should be able to access everything, Right?