How do I access websites from my college’s network?

Chandan Jha December 20, 2011

I can’t open any websites from my computer at college except for Google. All other websites redirect to the college website. Proxies don’t work, I can’t find them, since all sites except Google are blocked. How do I get around this?

Ask the administrator for the reasons behind, they must have strong blocker, if you can set different account for you then you can do what you wish, the only way is to hack the server, Are you for the challenge?

• Chandan Jha

Yeah.. I would surely Love to hack into their server but I know its just an Impossible task for me...
      And obviously they would not provide a separate account for me to enjoy the web, ah....!!!

Hello, You don't.  It is not a very good idea to even think about bypassing any security implemented in your school.  It is there for a reason and besides, if their IT staff knows what they are doing, it is not impossible for them to catch you.  Having said that, I am pretty sure that if you look hard enough you could probably find something that works......

• Chandan Jha

I do not feel that these security features must be implemented in our college... We are Engineering students now... They must think over it... We are grown ups...

Hello, It is their house, therefore you have to folow their rules.  Just because people are grown ups, it doesn't mean anything.....sometimes you can expect more unmature stuffs from grown up than from kids.....at least kids have an excuse, they are kids.  What are the excuses for grown ups?

If this is how the network is suppose to be, You could get in a huge amount of trouble trying to bypass it. You have agreed to proper usage, probably just by using the network. It you bypass it and get caught... It would not be pretty.

I would ask a Network Administrator or one of the IT staff about it.

• hook

looks like you are the principal :D 

Well, Working in IT and have setup internet blocks, etc. and knowing the reason behind them gives me a different point of view I guess. 

• Chandan Jha

Oh, it would be very nice of u if you could help finding some way for bypassing this...

Strange that search is allowed and not search results.
        But from the security point of view, your college is right.

Can you sign in to your google account?
        or check gmail ?
        then you will have at least something more to access, if you cant bypass the security.

Sorry Chandan Jha, morally I can not assist you in breaking policies that your school has put in place and possibly laws depending on how your school is setup (and where you are located). Especially after the comment you made about hacking...

School do this to protect themselves from "bad eggs" who would misuse unrestricted internet. Most schools are doing this now to some extent for various reasons. Mainly because they have been hammered by a business that got hacked by a student that found something on the internet and tried it out of curiosity. (There are other reasons like bandwidth)