How can I access YouTube from China?

Jim D December 3, 2010

China blocks access to many social sites like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and various others. Is there a work around/solution to access these sites? Anybody else in the same situation?

1. steffan12

Please don't think I'm a kill joy, I'm in China as well, I don't know if you are aware but it is worth just a little mention that you will be breaking the law using any methods to access blocked web pages from inside China, regardless of if you feel these sites should be blocked or not.
    I use ProXpn (www.proxpn.com), they are now promoting their paid service for faster speeds but I haven't found the free service to be slow and they have never let me down. It also helpfully tells you your status: connected or not connected to its servers in the USA.

2. davydevil

Hi all, been in China for 10 years... :-)
    best bet is vpn indeed, most proxies don't working anymore.
    I'm using strongvpn that's working really well and has a nice customer support

most free vpn software have all been blocked, but I found one that's been working for a long time. Of course, it's quite slower than commercial vpn's, but that'll save you 10 bucks permonth if you're not willing to spend that money on a vpn.
    you can find it there:
    http://www.packetix.net/en/secure/install/
    it;s free and totally safe ( no crapware, as it's developed and maintained by a Japanese university )

3. jhpot

Curious: did this question get us blocked in China yet?

Got to love that Great Firewall of China.

• Jiminsz

Well maybe, maybe not. I bet it at least set some alarms off though.

Actually, I would steer clear of proxies (sorry Tina), and move straight to a VPN. Proxies are a little insecure and unreliable in my experience. I would you a proxy to bypass a school filter, for instance, but not for your purposes. A VPN would serve you well and encrypt ALL you data throughput. Personally, I use a VPN service called "Darknet VPN" at http://www.darknetvpn.com , they have unlimited bandwidth and allow for torrents, but I also have a http://www.witopia.net account for legit stuff that I just need to be secure with, and I use it when visiting family in China for precisely that purpose, using facebook and watching youtube. Either service will set you back about $10-20 a month, well worth it for complete piece of mind.

• Jiminsz

Thanks for the detailed reply James. I think that maybe this is the way to go.
      Since you have family here in China you know first hand what I am facing.
      Thanks again.

My favorite is OpenVPN.

• Jiminsz

Thanks Richard for your recommendation. I did some research on OpenVPN and
        it seems like it is a little beyond my scope of computer knowledge. I would
        definitely need someone to help with the setup of this OpenVPN.

The Windows setup is not that bad as it looks. :-)

• Jiminsz

It has become one of my greatest frustrations living here in China.

I have always want to visit China/Japan region of the world. It might be some time before the North Korea situation cool down.

Be very careful doing this. Proxies are not magic and can be detected.

Just a friendly warning.

• Jiminsz

Richard, thanks for the warning. Yes I have heard about this.

• Jiminsz

Thanks Tina for your advice and links.