How can I access sites through my school’s firewall?

subbu January 6, 2012

I am a student and for the last 2 days I haven’t been able to use some websites. They’re blocked by the college admin apparently. When I try to use them I get the message “access denied for this site” instead. Is there a work-around?

the only legal and sure way is to talk to the shool admin and explain your reasons to access the questionned sites,  then perhaps they can give to you a separate account or other commodities.

I WOULD NOT try to bypass your schools firewall, unless you want to get major trouble. Possibly violating laws, schools tend to keep to themselves for offences like these, but still major trouble either way. 

Using any technique to view website that is blocked will be considered hacking. I have been there and done that (and more 
    unfortunately), but out of good graces it only ever turned into slaps on the wrist (It was years ago at a smaller school and I knew the IT staff), But as of late people are REALLY cracking down on this. You could also piss off the IT staff at your school...Like Jeff said, contact your Network Admin. If you have a valid reason ( watching youtube or something like that doesn't count) they will probably try to work with you.

3. Mjevolve

hello . 

yes of course you can , but be sure of what restricted sites you would access . coz , the network admin will come to know that a certain ip on the college network is bypassing the filters or is making illegitimate connections or using some kind of  bypass routes . ! 
    and so you wouldnt want to end up in some kind of trouble .!

you can try -- 
    > Proxy Servers -- get a list here -- xroxy.com or try - hidemyass.com 
    > Chain Proxy Servers -- TOR , AdvancedOR , JAPJonDo .
    > VPN servers -- free -- Anchor VPN or HotSpot Shield . and there are many paid VPNs also .
    > Firefox Proxy Add On -- PHProxy .

these bypass will work , depending on how the restriction has been imposed . if you are blocked while connecting to the main network server which serves your connection , then it wont work .
    if you are blocked while accessing the web content after a connection to the network has been made , then these might work ..

try and see ...

Hello, there are a few ways that can be explored but we are do not condone helping people bypass valid restrictions.  They are there for a reason.

• Mjevolve

yes Fidelis , right what you said .
        my reply is not encouraging him to go and do what is not permitted .
        so , before stating the workaround options, i cautioned him in my replies prelude to be aware of what he is doing .

the rest of the answer is for Educational Purposes ;)
        ( so he knows , yes there are ways !  
        things remain there to try , experiment and learn and its upto you at the end , how you use them  ...! 
        you must be familiar with terms -  White Hat Hackers and Black Hat Hackers ...! )

It is unethical to tell him he can not do it because he will get into trouble, Then tell him how to do it. A White hat hacker would not openly tell someone on a forum how to break (or Even bend) rules or laws... 

• Jeff Fabish

I agree, Rich.

How did the topic of black & white hat hacking come up anyway? Connecting to a proxy doesn't make you a hacker. More over, a hacker probably would have known that the majority of campuses implement DNS filters, which can be bypassed simply by going to the IP Address of the website so that the DNS server doesn't resolve the domain.

Perhaps somebody else's network isn't the right place to 'experiment'. If the network administrator went out of his way to deny access to students of this resource, bypassing it is probably in violation of the schools terms of service. No sense in shelling out all that money to buy a degree, only to get kicked out for going to YouTube.

Proxies are not really hacking,true. But when it goes to a discipline committee or a school admin, probably with little tech background, they will not see it that way. They will enforce what ever policy they have. 
          Usually the filters will have option to block IPs as well, actually they are getting very intuitive. One I am working with now does it on its own, but is have troubles elsewhere (Unix truly hates me... :)  It was brought up in a previous comment from Mjevolve, to be familiar with the terms. Honestly, I hate the White/Grey/Black hat titles.

• Mjevolve

yes , of course . just accessing the web through a proxy wont make you a hacker and neither it is an offense .
          the terms were used in mere colloquial sense , as to imply towards the use of same knowledge to serve different purposes by different people .!

Yes, I agree. I didn't take it offensive. Sorry, I tend to come off that way...

I really don't want to debate the fine points of bypassing a filter or the terms used in hacker culture.  

I having been hacking for a long time, mainly hardware (amateur radio operator). I have used skills to do thing I am not proud of doing. If I can put my two cents in and stop someone else from doing so, I will every time.

At the end of the day, The internet is a large place, and they will find a way to do what they want to. But I have no interest in helping anyone with the intent to break rules or laws. 

I'm not sure about the legality of assisting you to bypass your school's firewall, until further notice I can't help you. Perhaps ask your network administrator to whitelist the website? That, or search Google and MakeUseOf. The answer lies in both search results.