How do I access my registry files in Windows 7?

Maluth November 2, 2011

I just want to know how to open the registry directory in Windows 7. I cannot click start, run, regedit and access the directory as in XP Pro. Can anyone help me?

Hello, Does the run option not appear when you click on the orb?  To make it appear, do the following:

-- right click on orb,
    -- select properties,
    -- on menu that appears, select start menu
    -- click on customize
    -- scroll down until you see the run command option, an check mark it.
    -- click on ok, and then ok
    -- now you are able to use the run command

Another possibility is by doing the following:

-- click on start(orb)+e (opens explorer)
    -- on top of new page that opens, next to path bar there is a search box
    -- type: regedit on it
    -- once if finds all the entries
    -- scroll until you find the regedit.exe
    -- click on enter

If a search bar does not appear, it could be because it has been disabled or also because the index is turned off.

Hi Maluth 

Please elaborate on why you can't use the start menu. 

The first method you can try, is pressing the Windows Logo (special) + R. This will launch the "run" dialog, in it type "regedit.exe". The second method you can use is go to C:Windows and open up regedit.exe from explorer. Lastly, you may press CTRL + ALT + Delete to open the task manager then go to the Applications tab and select "new" in the bottom right corner. Then type in "regedit.exe". 

If you receive the error "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator" or "Registry editing has been disabled by your adminstrator", install Regedit Fix to replace your old registry editor (directions on page).

the start menu has a search box :
    type: regedit in the box.

If it does not work....

1.log in as the admin on your pc, if you are on any other account.

2. it can be becasue of a virus it can disable tasdk manger also, check task manager etc are working or not.

try this :Start menu >>Run>> type: gpedit.msc>>System>>Prevent Access to Registry Editing Tools >>disable it.

update your antivirus and scan the pc.