Why can I not access the internet with Windows 7 while it works fine with Windows XP?

Mike In Mexico August 12, 2010

My network consists of a two wire DSL gateway/router with a Windows XP wired client and a Windows 7 wireless client, with everything working normally.

I added a wireless repeater bridge using DD-WRT installed on a Linksys router. Connecting via the bridge works perfectly using WinXP, my iPod Touch (iOS4) or a Linux client, but with my Windows 7 laptop I get “No Internet Access”. The same result whether I connect to the bridge using wireless or wired. I have also tested using a Windows Vista client, same result.

When I am connected Windows 7 bridge, I can access shares/printers on my wired client (via bridge – gateway/router), but I can’t ping theĀ  gateway/router. IPCONFIG looks normal, with good IP, gateway, and DNS addresses. Connecting directly to the gateway/router works normally.

So, to summarize:
My bridge works fine with XP, Linux or iOS clients, but not with Windows 7 or Windows Vista. When connected to the bridge, I can’t ping the gateway/router, but I can access the rest of the network, via the same gateway/router.

If I leave the Windows 7 client connected to the bridge for about 30 minutes, it will start working normally, but it will fail again at some later time, and if I switch connections or reboot it fails immediately.

I’ve tried:
Updating drivers (even though wired and wireless have the same problem)
Safe mode
Disabled Bonjour
Fixed IP address on client
Disabling IPv6
and many other things found on web boards.

I use Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus. I’ve tried turning them both off.

Any suggestions

1. 3hoi

what's the authentication type you are using? is it WPA or WEP?

2. Bern

I had a similar issue with very similar symptoms with Vista and a Westell router that was solved by updating the firmware on the router. I would check to insure that you have the latest firmware for the router and the gateway.

3. William Brand

Have you tried plugging directly into your router instead of using the bridge?